Voting Law Proposals and Voting Rights Efforts (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This is, IMO, going to be a big topic in the coming year. Republicans have stated their aim to make voting more restrictive in just about every state where they have the means to do so. Democrats would like to pass the Voting Rights Bill named after John Lewis. I’m going to go look up the map of all the states which have pending legislation to restrict voting. Now that we have the election in the rear view, I thought we could try to make this a general discussion thread, where people who have concerns about voting abuses can post as well and we can discuss it from both sides. Please keep memes out of this thread and put them in the boards where we go to talk about the other side, lol.

Yeah I had to pick just a couple to quibble with. Still, it’s a straightforward analysis without being a complete political hack job. I wanted to encourage that sort of content.

I think he gives a fair analysis.

I disagree with him about the part where he says giving a legislative appointee authority over the Secretary of state’s role is overhyped.

If that had been the rule in 2020, I believe that they would have found a way to give DJT the election. Why are they even changing that part?

The SOS is elected statewide, and statewide elections in Georgia are purple trending blue.

The Georgia legislature is still very red and won’t be blue anytime soon.

Last edited:
    I think he gives a fair analysis.

I disagree with him about the part where he says giving a legislative appointee authority over the Secretary of state’s role is overhyped.

If that had been the rule in 2020, I believe that they would have found a way to give DJT the election. Why are they even changing that part?

The SOS is elected statewide, and statewide elections in Georgia are purple trending blue.

The Georgia legislature is still very red and won’t be blue anytime soon.

Yea this is far and away my biggest issue with all of this. The bill could have polling stations traveling door to door, and this nonsense invalidates the entire thing.

Republicans lose GA in presidential and Senate elections
    Republicans, without evidence, parrot the voter fraud nonsense Trump has been whining about since 2015
    Republicans now say they have to implement laws to improve trust in the system

No, Republicans. You broke the trust in the system. All you had to do was stop repeating this absolute nonsense, but it benefited the party so it was allowed to continue. Hell, amplified. Now you’ve created a law that can end round the Secretary of State to fix a problem you fabricated. It’s a total joke.

Yeah I had to pick just a couple to quibble with. Still, it’s a straightforward analysis without being a complete political hack job. I wanted to encourage that sort of content.
    Lol. You liked it because it was from a Democrat.

Well, how about that

So not so much 'Stop the Steal" but more "The Steal Didn't Work"

Quite the pivot there too
    ================
    Grove, who is also the chairman of the PA House State Government Committee, was among the Republicans who wanted Congress to reject the results from his state during the 2020 election. He conducted multiple hearings to question the state’s results in favor of Joe Biden, took part in events that revolved around election conspiracy theories, and spearheaded a letter that claimed administrative actions and legal rulings “undermined the lawful certification of Pennsylvania’s delegation to the Electoral College.”

The Pennsylvania Capital-Star interviewed Grove to ask him about the 10 hearings he conducted on the 2020 vote, plus his sponsorship of legislation to eliminate absentee ballots while proposing voter ID. When reporter Stephen Caruso pressed Grove on his objections to the election results — asking him point-blank “Was there election fraud in 2020?”

Here’s how that went:

Grove: Yes, there was. They have confirmed cases of election fraud.
    Caruso: Who committed that fraud in Pennsylvania?
    Grove: Right, Republicans. But it’s still election fraud. It doesn’t matter who [commits] it. We don’t want that fraud to occur. And to say there wasn’t any is a lie. Now, I will say there’s not like this mass amount of fraud, that’s going to shift hundreds of thousands of votes. But there was election fraud. We have had repeated, repeated election fraud in this commonwealth for decades.
    Caruso: This is not the message that, particularly Republican politicians, were giving to their constituents-
    Grove: Some. Not all.
    Grove was further pressed on why he didn’t call out the lies that shrouded the 2020 election, and his response to that was “I can’t help people believe everything on the Internet.”.........

More on ballot box shenanigans
    ==================

ATLANTA (AP) — Atlanta-area voters looking to return their ballots using a drop box in next year’s gubernatorial election will have to do some searching.

Just eight boxes will be spread across Fulton County’s nearly 529 square miles — or about one for every 100,000 registered voters. That’s down from the 38 drop boxes that were available to voters last fall. It’s the result of a broad new law pushed by Georgia Republicans in response to former President Donald Trump’s false claims of a stolen election.

Georgia is one of several states controlled politically by Republicans that are seeking additional restrictions on voting, citing security concerns. A favorite target is ballot drop boxes, which have been used for years in states with expansive mail voting and which millions of voters used last year as a way to avoid polling places during the pandemic.

Democrats say the boxes are more secure than regular mailboxes, and their use was largely trouble-free last fall. Even Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, a Republican who signed the restrictive bill into law, posted a video on his Twitter account that showed him using a drop box to cast his ballot last year, flashing a thumbs up sign afterward.

“They loved ballot drop boxes until Trump and the Republicans started losing,” said state Rep. Erica Thomas, a Democrat from metro Atlanta..........

Republicans fear democracy. Thus they want fewer people to vote. In order to make this happen they institute “laws” under the premise of non-existent voter fraud. In essence they engage in election fraud which is system based as opposed to voter fraud which is individual based.

Newsmax apologizes and settles Dominion suit

I would have made them take it one step further not let a "we found no evidence" or a "mistakes were made" be sufficient

You want this suit to end? Then you admit you lied, and admit it on air not buried in a press release - you admit you knew the whole time there was 'no evidence' but you went with it anyway. And you use the word lied - not a semantic tap dance
    ============================================

An executive at Dominion Voting Systems moved to dismiss Newsmax as a defendant in a defamation lawsuit Friday after reaching a settlement with the right-wing media organization.

It's the first such settlement from a news organization in a defamation lawsuit filed over 2020 election conspiracy theories.

The lawsuit, filed by Dominion's head of product strategy and security Eric Coomer, is among several filed over false claims that election technology companies like Dominion rigged the election against former president Donald Trump and in favor of now-President Joe Biden.

Coomer sued Newsmax in December in state court in Colorado over false claims that he took part in an "Antifa conference call" to rig the 2020 presidential election against Donald Trump. He revised his lawsuit in February to bolster his claims against Newsmax, as Insider previously reported.

On Friday, Newsmax issued a retraction and apology on its website saying it found "no evidence" that earlier claims about Coomer and the 2020 election were true.

"There are several facts that our viewers should be aware of. Newsmax has found no evidence that Dr. Coomer interfered with Dominion voting machines or voting software in any way, nor that Dr. Coomer ever claimed to have done so," the statement reads. "Nor has Newsmax found any evidence that Dr. Coomer ever participated in any conversation with members of 'Antifa,' nor that he was directly involved with any partisan political organization."...........

Last edited:
    Newsmax should have to run their apology in every lead in from commercial for one solid month.

in related voter fraud news, I just got my mail in voting package for our local elections. The ones I didn’t even know we were having. It is for school board- nice to be able to not only know I vote in every election but be quickly educated on the candidates or issue so I can vote knowledgeably.

Wouldn’t it be funny if these new voter laws end up costing republicans elections

and if that happens wouldn’t it be doubly funny to see the GOP try to justify reversing the laws?
    ========================

..........So began a long and fruitful relationship between the GOP and absentee voting. Republican campaigns invested millions of dollars encouraging their supporters to cast ballots by mail.

State legislators passed laws making it easier. Over the ensuing decades, GOP voters in Florida became so comfortable with casting ballots by mail that in 2020, nearly 35 percent of those who turned out did so, according to state data compiled by University of Florida political science professor Daniel A. Smith.

Virtually every narrow Republican victor of the past generation — and there have been many, including two of the state’s current top officeholders, Gov. Ron DeSantis and Sen. Rick Scott — owes their victory, at least in part, to mail voting.

Now, some Florida Republicans are reacting with alarm after the GOP-dominated state legislature, with DeSantis’s support, passed a far-reaching bill Thursday night that puts new restrictions on the use of mail ballots.

Not only are GOP lawmakers reversing statutes that their own predecessors put in place, but they are also curtailing a practice that millions of state Republicans use, despite former president Donald Trump’s relentless and baseless claims that it invites fraud.

Even as Democrats and voting rights advocates accuse the proponents of Senate Bill 90 of attempting to suppress the votes of people of color, these Republicans say their own political fortunes are in peril, too.

The potential fallout in the key swing state illustrates how the Republican Party is hurting itself in its rush to echo Trump’s false allegations, they said.

“Donald Trump attempted to ruin a perfectly safe and trusted method of voting,” said one longtime Republican consultant in the state who spoke on the condition of anonymity to offer a candid assessment.

“The main law that we pass when we pass election bills in Florida is the law of unintended consequences,” he said. Now, he added, the GOP must live with the result............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom