Voting Law Proposals and Voting Rights Efforts (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This is, IMO, going to be a big topic in the coming year. Republicans have stated their aim to make voting more restrictive in just about every state where they have the means to do so. Democrats would like to pass the Voting Rights Bill named after John Lewis. I’m going to go look up the map of all the states which have pending legislation to restrict voting. Now that we have the election in the rear view, I thought we could try to make this a general discussion thread, where people who have concerns about voting abuses can post as well and we can discuss it from both sides. Please keep memes out of this thread and put them in the boards where we go to talk about the other side, lol.

Ohio recently passed a law that purges voters who haven't voted in three consecutive federal elections. Louisiana is trying to do something similar last I heard.

And that's bull. If I'm alive and a citizen, I have the right to vote.

Republicans have given up and straight up admitted that they cannot win elections where as many people as legally possible to vote actually decide to vote go ahead and get off the couch.

Absolutely. Agree 100%.

What is the objection to purges? If someone is deceased or moved out of state, those should be removed from the voter rolls. Am I missing something here?

Requiring release of tax records won't pass Constitutional muster. I think that probably won't happen unless it's via Constitutional amendment. Fwiw, I do favor releasing tax records.
    Something like this most often happens when voter purges are done.

Something like this most often happens when voter purges are done.

Well, that is more an issue with the methods used to verify residence. And part of that was addressed earlier. Purging simply for inactivity should be unconstitutional. Because I don't vote in a given number of elections shouldn't disqualify me for the next one. It infringes on a citizen's right to vote.

As for tracking moves, if a move can't be verified, it shouldn't be removed. If a person is registered in 2 different states, the most recent registration should be valid and older one removed. Georgia not utilizing proper verification procedures is a problem that needs to be fixed.

I don't know that I agree with this take.

What they were trying to do is push it back to the state legislators so they could hand Trump the victory. That is leaving it to the states, just focusing on the part of the states that are partial to them.

Unless it's a matter of election security or civil rights (voter access) I think the Feds should leave it to the states. What I think needs to happen is there needs to be something passed that once a state certifies its election Congress can't refuse the certification.

The system worked. Voter access was made easier to accommodate the pandemic, states certified their elections, courts upheld that certification. Congress should have no role but to rubber-stamp it.

I don't know that I agree with this take.

What they were trying to do is push it back to the state legislators so they could hand Trump the victory. That is leaving it to the states, just focusing on the part of the states that are partial to them.

Unless it's a matter of election security or civil rights (voter access) I think the Feds should leave it to the states. What I think needs to happen is there needs to be something passed that once a state certifies its election Congress can't refuse the certification.

The system worked. Voter access was made easier to accommodate the pandemic, states certified their elections, courts upheld that certification. Congress should have no role but to rubber-stamp it.

Indeed, the system did what it was supposed to. It was messy, but it worked.

Well, that is more an issue with the methods used to verify residence. And part of that was addressed earlier. Purging simply for inactivity should be unconstitutional. Because I don't vote in a given number of elections shouldn't disqualify me for the next one. It infringes on a citizen's right to vote.
    But they do it. Over and over again. More laws are being put onto the books and more policies being enforced to purge voters for so many varied reasons. When most states talk about purging voters, they're not talking about dead voters or those who moved (many states share voter registration information to help in that regard), they're talking about purging valid voters for messed up reasons.

That's what's wrong with most voter purges.

But they do it. Over and over again. More laws are being put onto the books and more policies being enforced to purge voters for so many varied reasons. When most states talk about purging voters, they're not talking about dead voters or those who moved (many states share voter registration information to help in that regard), they're talking about purging valid voters for messed up reasons.

Are there any studies you’re aware of on the effect of voter purges? I’ve seen a lot on Voter ID laws and the lack of any substantial fraud, but I’ve been able to find one that shows the impact of purging voters.

I'm perfectly fine with requiring ID's for voting and I think a lot of these organizations fighting it should instead focus their efforts on getting ID's for people who don't have them. Once you have a valid state ID I imagine there is basically nothing the GOP machine can do to deprive you of your right to vote. As to the purging issues, well... people still need to be vigilant to ensure they are registered for upcoming elections.

I dunno what states are doing what, but I generally favor pretty narrow reasons for clearing voter rolls. 1) deceased 2) moved to and registered in another state, or 3) no longer US citizen. All would have to be verified through proper validation procedures before purging.

Now the parties running their primaries can do what they want. But in the general elections...yeah.

Are there any studies you’re aware of on the effect of voter purges? I’ve seen a lot on Voter ID laws and the lack of any substantial fraud, but I’ve been able to find one that shows the impact of purging voters.
    I haven’t yet, but I’m certain it will be similar to the ID requirements. I mean, 200k in Georgia alone last election (2018) could easily swing elections.

I dunno what states are doing what, but I generally favor pretty narrow reasons for clearing voter rolls. 1) deceased 2) moved to and registered in another state, or 3) no longer US citizen. All would have to be verified through proper validation procedures before purging.
    So then by the recent voter purges and plans for future ones, you’d be totally against them because they’re not really concerned with dead or moved-to-another-state types.

I'm perfectly fine with requiring ID's for voting and I think a lot of these organizations fighting it should instead focus their efforts on getting ID's for people who don't have them. Once you have a valid state ID I imagine there is basically nothing the GOP machine can do to deprive you of your right to vote. As to the purging issues, well... people still need to be vigilant to ensure they are registered for upcoming elections.

Except for closing polling places and limiting early in-person voting as well as mail-in voting.

Take a look at the average wait times to vote based on location in many states. Your statement I bolded shows a definite lack of imagination. 😁

Besides the voter suppression shenanigans (R) have done in GA, I recall that there was a law being considered (I forget where) that would require an address. Problem is for some, that isn't possible. Take for example How the Native American Vote Continues to be Suppressed

There is a section about nontraditional addresses, voter registration and voter ID laws

Besides the voter suppression shenanigans (R) have done in GA, I recall that there was a law being considered (I forget where) that would require an address. Problem is for some, that isn't possible. Take for example How the Native American Vote Continues to be Suppressed

There is a section about nontraditional addresses, voter registration and voter ID laws

I don't necessarily think you should have to be required to provide an address, but, you still have to make a statement as to where you reside. So if you're homeless, or live at an unofficial address, for voter registration, you would need to list the city or district/precient where you reside and vote at the nearest polling location.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom