Media Tracker (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaintForLife

Reaction score
    I figured we needed a thread specifically about the media.

There was a very big correction recently by the Washington Post.

That story was supposedly "independently confirmed" by CNN, NBC News, USA Today, ABC News, & PBS News Hour. How could they all have gotten the quote wrong if they actually independently confirmed the story?

Why do all the errors always go in one political direction and not closer to 50/50?

The first half of this video with Dr. Carl Sagan just speaks to me a lot about overall scientific literacy, let alone media literacy.

That’s weird. Right wing media orders reporters to lie, reporters usually do it but this one time breaks the camel’s back, and the people who are most vocal about obvious media bias and mainstream media deliberately misleading the people are nowhere to be found? I can’t believe how that is possible!

:rolleyes:

We were assured that whenever media makes a mistake, it’s one-sided. It’s always liberal media being wrong about conservatives, right?

Also, Greenwald and Taibbi must be all over this story, right?

🤪

I missed this story, wasn’t something similar said when AOC first proposed the green new deal?

Using the liar’s favorite word

“I didn’t say that it would, I just said that it could”
    =============

NEW YORK (AP) — President Joe Biden spent only a weekend as the “Hamburglar” in the conservative media world.

But while the false story lasted, it moved with a damaging speed and breadth, another example of a closed ecosystem of information affecting public opinion.

An academic study published a year before Biden became president was used to speculate that he would place limits on how much red meat Americans can consume as part of his stated goal to sharply reduce greenhouse gas pollution.

It was a potentially potent, visceral argument with punchy cable TV octane, namely that Biden was trying to limit people to eating one hamburger a month — an allegation that could seriously undermine his climate change plan before he even announced it.

There was one main problem: He’s said no such thing.

Yet two days after the Daily Mail brought up the topic in a report last Thursday, Rep. Lauren Boebert, a Colorado Republican, was tweeting, “Why doesn’t Joe stay out of my kitchen?”

The Mail’s story, by Emily Crane, was headlined “How Biden’s climate plan could limit you to eat just one burger a MONTH, cost $3.5K a year per person in taxes, force you to spend $55K on an electric car and ‘crush’ American jobs.”........

wasn’t something similar said when AOC first proposed the green new deal?

Yea, they were running with “they’re taking our meat” then as well. It’s ridiculous.
    But I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a lick of serious legislation meant to “take our guns!”, but that still lives out there too.

Fox News, the actual 'News' component of the network, is actually pretty solid. It's the commentary portion (the one they make the advertising dollars on) that's garbage.

This could go in a number of threads

Good article and interesting point

i wish all the networks followed this lead
    =================================

The journalists at WITF, an all-news public radio station in Harrisburg, Pa., made a perfectly reasonable decision a few months ago.

They decided they wouldn’t shrug off the damaging lies of election denialism.

They wouldn’t do what too many in Big Journalism have done in recent months: shove into the memory hole the undemocratic efforts by some Republican elected officials to delegitimize or overturn the 2020 presidential election.

Too many Sunday news shows repeatedly book the likes of Kevin McCarthy, Ted Cruz and Ron Johnson without reminding viewers how these members of Congress tried to undo the results of the election — and encouraged the Trumpian lies about election fraud that led to the violent assault on the U.S. Capitol less than four months ago. A rare exception is CNN’s “State of the Union,” which hasn’t booked a single member of the so-called Sedition Caucus since January.

“There’s a kind of clubby atmosphere on these shows, part of the Beltway Bubble mentality, in which it’s become almost impolite to raise the topic of the insurrection,” Princeton University history professor Kevin Kruse told me.

“CBS This Morning,” for example, sent out an email alert last week touting its exclusive interview with Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.), one of the seven senators who voted against certifying the election results in Pennsylvania. Scott blasted President Biden for “spending us into oblivion” and mocked him for not achieving bipartisanship — yet interviewer Anthony Mason never mentioned that Scott had literally tried to overturn Biden’s election.

“109 days after Jan. 6, ‘history will remember’ is a complete joke,” Matt Negrin of “The Daily Show” tweeted last week. He added: “These media outlets want you to forget.”

But Harrisburg’s WITF has gone a different route: They want you to remember...............

The station has stuck to its pledge in its day-to-day coverage ever since, by simply and without fanfare including boilerplate language about how lawmakers conducted themselves during the attempts to overturn the election whenever they are mentioned in the course of regular news coverage.

For example, a recent story about a state legislator’s efforts to get Pennsylvanians vaccinated was accompanied by a sidebar of text about the lawmaker in question.

“State Sen. Ryan Aument (R—Lancaster) was one of 17 Republican state senators who signed a Jan. 4 letter that asked Congress to delay electoral college certification because, it said incorrectly, SCOTUS ‘is to hear Trump v. Boockvar in the coming days.’ On Jan. 11 SCOTUS refused to fast-track the case. The election-fraud lie led to the attack on the Capitol.”

On-air stories use similar language as a tagline at the end of news segments.

The station’s effort has been generally well-received, said Scott Blanchard, editor of StateImpact Pennsylvania, a public-media collaboration, who joined in the planning..........

Last edited:

I had never heard of NewsGuard before this post.

Also, the guy doesn't say what his specific concern is regarding Hayden. Can he (or you) connect Hayden to the quality level of the fact checker? Please articulate the concern, not just putting together to "bad guys" and going "duh".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom