Julian Assange's extradition defense to include evidence that an alleged Trump envoy offered a pardon (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    Apparently in a pre-trial conference in London in advance of his extradition hearing, Assange's lawyer indicated that the defense would put on evidence that former congressman Dana Rohrabacher offered Assange a pardon if he made a statement that Russia was not the source of the DNC hack.

This is being reported by court observers, not opinion journalists . . . so it appears credible, at least to the extent that the Assange team thinks they have evidence of this that they intend to use at trial (not sure of what purpose).

Whether it actually happened, of course, is unclear - nor is it clear that if indeed it happened, it was with Trump's blessing.

Dana Rohrabacher Could have been acting on behalf of Russia independently of Trump.

He (and or Putin) could have just been planning to get Trump on board after the fact or maybe they never even planned to follow through with the pardon at all.

So, Dana has released a statement saying that he did not meet with Assange on behalf of our President and in fact never spoke with anyone associated with our President prior to meeting with Assange.

Dana did speak with Kelly about the meeting after the fact, but no one ever followed up with him.

So, Dana has released a statement saying that he did not meet with Assange on behalf of our President and in fact never spoke with anyone associated with our President prior to meeting with Assange.

Dana did speak with Kelly about the meeting after the fact, but no one ever followed up with him.

So, he DID meet with Assange, he's just saying that he didn't make the offer that he is accused of making? Well, that's good enough for me. Why would he lie?

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what evidence Assange's lawyers have.

Actually if his denial is worded the way BF said, he’s not even denying making the offer, he is just denying that he was representing the President and that he had spoken with anyone associated with the president prior to the meeting. Which leaves speaking with the president after the meeting on the table, no?

Who was the Republican congressman who said that the only politicians he thought were being paid by Russians were Rohrabacher and Trump? Was that Ryan who said that? I can’t remember.

This report seems to indicate there was some sort of deal offered by the WH to Assange. And it seems that the authorization was discussed with Kelly at the time.

This report seems to indicate there was some sort of deal offered by the WH to Assange. And it seems that the authorization was discussed with Kelly at the time.

I may have missed it, but I didn't hear anything in the video about a "deal."

And specifically what "authorization" are you talking about?

Rohrabacher says at the end that they are discussing what could and couldn’t be offered to Assange. He says the “interaction“ is confidential. The interviewer called it a deal, and he didn’t object, he merely changed words to interaction. However you slice it, that is a deal. Something is offered to obtain something that is wanted. A deal.

The implication is that Kelly would be the authorizing party, acting as the president’s chief of staff. And there would be something offered for the act of Assange saying where he actually got the hacked material from. Of course nothing came of it, because Assange knew he actually got the material from Russia, anyway. So he was unable to offer them what they wanted.

Apparently in a pre-trial conference in London in advance of his extradition hearing, Assange's lawyer indicated that the defense would put on evidence that former congressman Dana Rohrabacher offered Assange a pardon if he made a statement that Russia was not the source of the DNC hack.

This is being reported by court observers, not opinion journalists . . . so it appears credible, at least to the extent that the Assange team thinks they have evidence of this that they intend to use at trial (not sure of what purpose).

Whether it actually happened, of course, is unclear - nor is it clear that if indeed it happened, it was with Trump's blessing.

Assange had already stated publicly that it wasn't Russia that gave him the emails before the alleged offer of a pardon.

Assange had already stated publicly that it wasn't Russia that gave him the emails before the alleged offer of a pardon.

There is a difference between publicly stating Russia didn’t provide the emails and providing evidence Russia didn’t do it.

Rohrabacher asking for evidence for a pardon seems odd. I would think pardons would not be traded by congressmen.

There is a difference between publicly stating Russia didn’t provide the emails and providing evidence Russia didn’t do it.

Rohrabacher asking for evidence for a pardon seems odd. I would think pardons would not be traded by congressmen.
    Apparently Rohrabacher was offering the pardon on his own.

Rohrabacher said that not only did talk of a Trump pardon take place during his meeting, but he also followed up by calling then White House chief of staff John Kelly to discuss the proposal. He did not, however, ever speak to Trump about it, he said.

“I spoke to Julian Assange and told him if he would provide evidence about who gave WikiLeaks the emails I would petition the president to give him a pardon,” Rohrabacher said. “He knew I could get to the president.”

When he spoke to Kelly, the then chief of staff was “courteous” but made no commitment that he would even raise the matter directly with the president. “He knew this had to be handled with care,” Rohrabacher said, and that it could be spun by the news media in ways that would be “harmful” to the president. In fact, Rohrabacher said he never heard anything further from Kelly about the matter, nor did he ever discuss the subject directly with Trump.

Don’t you ever get tired of defending the indefensible?

Please for a moment envision a world where President Obama is said to have directed Senator (D) to offer Julian Assange a pardon for saying it was Russia who hacked our election, and it was discovered during Assange’s extradition hearing.

Senator (D) says he wasn’t directed by Obama to do it.

would you be inclined to believe him and state as much, with such assuredness?

Please for a moment envision a world where President Obama is said to have directed Senator (D) to offer Julian Assange a pardon for saying it was Russia who hacked our election, and it was discovered during Assange’s extradition hearing.

I

Wait, who said Trump sent Dana?

Apparently Rohrabacher was offering the pardon on his own.

Rohrabacher said that not only did talk of a Trump pardon take place during his meeting, but he also followed up by calling then White House chief of staff John Kelly to discuss the proposal. He did not, however, ever speak to Trump about it, he said.

“I spoke to Julian Assange and told him if he would provide evidence about who gave WikiLeaks the emails I would petition the president to give him a pardon,” Rohrabacher said. “He knew I could get to the president.”

When he spoke to Kelly, the then chief of staff was “courteous” but made no commitment that he would even raise the matter directly with the president. “He knew this had to be handled with care,” Rohrabacher said, and that it could be spun by the news media in ways that would be “harmful” to the president. In fact, Rohrabacher said he never heard anything further from Kelly about the matter, nor did he ever discuss the subject directly with Trump.

I think the Bloomberg opinion piece is poorly titled and makes a poor assumption that Trump would have nothing to gain by hard evidence that Russia didn’t hack the DNC. That said, I don’t think it’s fair to say Trump had Rohrabacher make an offer in his stead when Rohrabacher said he acted alone.

Explain to me what would be wrong if Trump did offer a pardon for evidence that it wasn't Russia that gave Wikileaks the hacked emails? Assange had already said that publicly.

Explain to me what would be wrong if Trump did offer a pardon for evidence that it wasn't Russia that gave Wikileaks the hacked emails? Assange had already said that publicly.

Because he knows it is not true.

It’s not some innocent search for the truth.

Don’t bother trying to suggest it could be true, and that it’s just Trump trying to get to the facts. We’re tired of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom