Impeachment "success" - Where will Republicans go? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

JimEverett

Reaction score
    Assume that Trump is either heavily damaged by impeachment and resigns or is impeached and removed - where do you think the current incarnation of the Republican Party will actually go?

Pence is an obvious candidate, but I don't think Republicans find him all that attractive. He doesn't seem all that much of a "fighter" - as in someone who will stand-up to Democrats.

Lindsey Graham? He got back into conservative good graces during the Kavanaugh hearings - but still seems like a long-shot which by mentioning him shows how I am already out of ideas.

Ben Sasse?

Kid Rock?

I don't think there's any chance he will be removed. The Senate Republicans will never allow it to get anywhere close to that.

He's gonna be damaged, but I don't think any Republicans care much unless they think he'll definitely lose his re-election bid. I think they're tied to him through the election like Dave was strapped to the bike in Breaking Away (old movie reference FTW!).

But assuming Trump loses, I think they'll be split between those who want to try to return ton Reagan-era policies and leadership, and those who will want to continue the exact policies of Trump. Kasich is the closest idea I have for the former. For the latter, perhaps a younger but less known politician who won't have the current baggage of Trump and can lead more on the ideals of the far-right without the baggage of Trump. I have no idea who that would be, though.

{Edited: I put Kucinich instead of Kasich! DOH!}

Last edited:
    I will see if I can find it - but there is a poll or polls that show Trump is starting off in worse shape than Nixon when the Impeachment inquiry started.
    Not saying that proves anything, but its still not a particularly good sign for Trump.

I will see if I can find it - but there is a poll or polls that show Trump is starting off in worse shape than Nixon when the Impeachment inquiry started.
    Not saying that proves anything, but its still not a particularly good sign for Trump.

I think his base has grown since 2016, and his support among that base remains strong as evidenced by contributions to his campaign.

We will see what happens, but as it stands I think almost all of his supporters feel like I do - this is more of the same effort by those who do not accept the results of the 2016 election. Well that and there are people who have a vested interest in stopping the origins investigation.

I don't see the likes of Schiff leading the resistance to the promised land.

Steve Scalise. He is well liked and he has the star power from the shooting.

John Neely Kennedy- Jr United States Senator from Louisiana

5d14d21b7fc33.image.jpg

Greatest Hits:

"We have enough trouble doing a budget by itself. We haven't had one since Moses walked the earth. It's embarrassing."

"If you trust government, you obviously failed history class. The Native Americans gave up their guns, too."

"A lot of my colleagues in Washington D.C. say that England is such a wonderful place because they don't have guns. And if they think it's such a swell place, well, carry your happy arse"

"We've got … some hogs who have all four feet and their snout in the trough. And we got to find out who they are gentlemen."

"As we say in Louisiana, President Trump is a hard dog to keep on the porch."

"I don't even know when they have time to make movies in Hollywood because it looks like they're all busy molesting each other."

"Credit monitoring companies collect our information without permission and sell that information to businesses. These companies then offer a premium service to make sure that the data they're collecting is accurate. It is ridiculous. I don't pay extra in a restaurant to prevent the waiter from spitting in my food."

"If you believe that tax policy has nothing to do with the economy, you're pretty much like a rock -- only dumber."

"My attitude is if you hate cops just because they're cops, then the next time you get in trouble, call a crack head. That's the way I feel about it."

Foghorn Leghorn 2020!

I was gonna say it couldn't be either of the guys from Louisiana because they're both kinda illogical and... umm... slow... but then 💡 it dawned on me so I withdraw my nascent objection.

I think his base has grown since 2016, and his support among that base remains strong as evidenced by contributions to his campaign.

We will see what happens, but as it stands I think almost all of his supporters feel like I do - this is more of the same effort by those who do not accept the results of the 2016 election. Well that and there are people who have a vested interest in stopping the origins investigation.

I don't see the likes of Schiff leading the resistance to the promised land.
    I'm not sure $$ is a great indicator of voter support. Too much corporate / PAC $$ in there.

I'm not sure $$ is a great indicator of voter support. Too much corporate / PAC $$ in there.

Maybe, but Trump's donations have historically been from small donors (less than $200) at about 60 -65% of donations. Compare that with rates of about 25% for McCain and Romney.

Makes sense when you consider Trump is our "populist" President.

I don't know the breakdown for the flood of donations since Pelosi announced that they are kinda going through an impeachment process.

I wonder, what does "accepting the outcome of the 2016 election" look like to Trump voters?

Does any opposition to Trump's policies mean you don't accept the 2016 election? If you believe the investigation into Russian interference was legitimate, does that mean you don't accept the results of the 2016 election? If you believe the current whistle blower complaint should be investigated and the white house/president need to produce documents that are subpoenaed by the House, does that mean you don't accept the results of the 2016 election? If you state that Trump won the electoral college but lost the national vote by 3 mil, does that mean you don't accept the results of the 2016 election?

I hear this rational given by right wing media and his supporters since before he was even sworn in explain every investigation and criticism of Trump. But what does it mean to accept the results of the election? I call him president (along with many other things, but I digress), is that sufficient enough to indicate I accept the results of the 2016 election? Or is a lot more needed?

I'm curious what this means to you, because otherwise it's just a throw away line given when rational explanations for the presidents actions can't be provided.

I wonder, what does "accepting the outcome of the 2016 election" look like to Trump voters?

Does any opposition to Trump's policies mean you don't accept the 2016 election? If you believe the investigation into Russian interference was legitimate, does that mean you don't accept the results of the 2016 election? If you believe the current whistle blower complaint should be investigated and the white house/president need to produce documents that are subpoenaed by the House, does that mean you don't accept the results of the 2016 election? If you state that Trump won the electoral college but lost the national vote by 3 mil, does that mean you don't accept the results of the 2016 election?

I hear this rational given by right wing media and his supporters since before he was even sworn in explain every investigation and criticism of Trump. But what does it mean to accept the results of the election? I call him president (along with many other things, but I digress), is that sufficient enough to indicate I accept the results of the 2016 election? Or is a lot more needed?

I'm curious what this means to you, because otherwise it's just a throw away line given when rational explanations for the presidents actions can't be provided.

I can you an idea of what it doesn't look like. Taken in our nation's capitol on inauguration day:
    th.jpeg-13.jpg

C2nqUoyXAAAq9cl_1484921497225_7731663_ver1.0.jpg

C2oibMyXUAMY7rV_1484936713859_7793881_ver1.0.jpg

I can you an idea of what it doesn't look like. Taken in our nation's capitol on inauguration day:
    th.jpeg-13.jpg

C2nqUoyXAAAq9cl_1484921497225_7731663_ver1.0.jpg

C2oibMyXUAMY7rV_1484936713859_7793881_ver1.0.jpg

That didn't answer my question. It's just more of this:

Assume that Trump is either heavily damaged by impeachment and resigns or is impeached and removed - where do you think the current incarnation of the Republican Party will actually go?

Pence is an obvious candidate, but I don't think Republicans find him all that attractive. He doesn't seem all that much of a "fighter" - as in someone who will stand-up to Democrats.

Lindsey Graham? He got back into conservative good graces during the Kavanaugh hearings - but still seems like a long-shot which by mentioning him shows how I am already out of ideas.

Ben Sasse?

Kid Rock?
    honestly have no idea, but my big fear is that we have a repeat of the Nixonians popping up later with Reagan and Bush
    if/when Trump goes, all things Trump need to go as well - root and stem

fortunately, he's done such a good job of making sure he's people don't get entrenched that maybe there's nowhere for them to burrow and await a time when it's safe to re-emerge

That didn't answer my question. It's just more of this:

I think I answered your question. We have enjoyed peaceful transitions of the office for most of our history. This time, not so much with people declaring that they are part of a resistance.

Hell, we had about 70 Democratic members of Congress who boycotted the inauguration. How many of those do you think have pushed for impeachment at every opportunity? My guess is 100% of them. That doesn't look like a principled exercise of their Constitutional duties to me. That looks like people who just want to overturn an election by any means necessary.

I think I answered your question. We have enjoyed peaceful transitions of the office for most of our history. This time, not so much with people declaring that they are part of a resistance.

Hell, we had about 70 Democratic members of Congress who boycotted the inauguration. How many of those do you think have pushed for impeachment at every opportunity? My guess is 100% of them. That doesn't look like a principled exercise of their Constitutional duties to me. That looks like people who just want to overturn an election by any means necessary.

I'm guessing you conveniently forget about this after the 2008 election:

You don't think Republicans had it in for Obama from day 1? Did you forget about Birtherism, Bengazi, Her Emails, Tea Party, Tan suit, etc? Obama was never given a chance either by Republicans, yet he was never under threat of impeachment.

Do you really believe the Republicans wouldn't have impeached Obama of they had any opportunity to do so? He never gave them a chance too as he never committed any impeachable offenses.

Yet here sits Trump, in his first term, now under his second threat of impeachment. That's not because people are out for him. It's because he's committing offense that are impeachable and against US interests for his own personal political gain.

How many of those do you think have pushed for impeachment at every opportunity? My guess is 100% of them. That doesn't look like a principled exercise of their Constitutional duties to me. That looks like people who just want to overturn an election by any means necessary.

Is the impeachment inquiry or investigation totally meritless, then?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom