If Trump were to win again (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? He should be impeached. Not that Republicans care about the rule of law in this country, in which case he'd likely already be on his way out.
    If you don't like the man then vote for his opponent. Impeachment shouldn't be a political threat before the election even happens or immediately afterwards. It should never be a process used to undo the will of the voters. As far as your partisan comment about Republicans not caring about the rule of law, the very same can be said of the current crop of Democrats in Congress and their radical protesters in the street. Only a truly blind partisan would think that only their party cares about the rule of law.

Would the Democrats try to impeach him again for 4 years or would they back off knowing he won’t be re-elected?

Considering the why they have started the impeachment process , they should. Although it would be crazy to start proceedings in 2022.

Last edited:
    If you don't like the man then vote for his opponent. Impeachment shouldn't be a political threat before the election even happens or immediately afterwards. It should never be a process used to undo the will of the voters. As far as your partisan comment about Republicans not caring about the rule of law, the very same can be said of the current crop of Democrats in Congress and their radical protesters in the street. Only a truly blind partisan would think that only their party cares about the rule of law.

Impeachment in our country is a consequence of violating certain oaths taken, and Trump has crossed that line few times. It's only because of a corrupt Senate that he won't be held accountable. I was talking about the current administration, but I see I touched a nerve as you seem not to want to focus on that.

Would the Democrats try to impeach him again for 4 years or would they back off knowing he won’t be re-elected?
    I think so long as he continues to do ethically/legally questionable things, investigations will probably follow him. Impeachment is just the only mechanism we have if a president is acting criminally or too far out of bounds ethically.

I had said it before. Whenever his presidency ends, I wouldn't be shocked if he's potentially charged for obstruction of Justice. I think the case was made, but the AG won't do it, because he doesn't think it is possible for a sitting president.

Pelosi only went for this, because it seemed a very clear transgression, and the public/moderates flipped fast. Polling shows it, when even the Meuller report didn't make a blip. I think Trump made a huge mistake by releasing those transcripts so quickly. Maybe he didn't have a choice, but he gifted this to the Democrats.. or they (the GOP) baited them into this to play some political calculus, but that's dangerous, especially with how quickly public sentiment changed on Impeachment.

The president's possible defense emerges from foreign affairs history. He could claim that (1) he has broad authority to conduct foreign affairs; (2) even though Congress has enumerated foreign affairs powers, the Constitution is silent on whether he can withhold foreign aid; (3) some statute, somewhere, allows him to withhold foreign aid, and even possibly (4), the law lets him condition such aid on another country doing something beneficial for the United States, such as — and especially — rooting out corruption which could harm the U.S.

Assume for the moment that all of those are true, and that the president enjoys the broadest possible power to condition foreign aid to a country on that nation prosecuting crimes that harm the U.S. Even so, the president still has a problem.

It's the singling out of Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden's son that ultimately could compromise this defense.

No reasonable, impartial observer would believe that any investigation into the former vice president's son would represent a corruption prosecution that Trump believed affected national security or even merited mention on a phone call with a head of state. It doesn't really matter if it's bribery, extortion or a violation of campaign finance law. It ultimately looks like an abuse of power and a corruption of the electoral process — both of which are impeachable events.

That's why this latest controversy might not pose a real criminal threat to the president, but it really could pose an impeachment threat.

It comes down to proof. if they find documents/conversations/texts that tie the Biden thing to a personal favor / election activity, beyond the transcripts, then he's impeached for this. Who cares if he does or doesn't win the election. It's already happening, once they corroborate this a bit more cleanly.

I'll say this, no US Senator is going to want to have a vote on purely party lines, if there is clear damning evidence that this was, in fact, a personal favor, not a favor to the country. The "media hypocrisy" search will be on full alert, and point out how they allowed criminal behavior go unchecked, but are now complaining about x, y, z...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom