I had high hopes for this site... (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
    Not open for further replies.

SystemShock

Uh yu ka t'ann
    Reaction score
    ... maybe it's too soon, I don't know. Maybe the conversation is better in the silos, but I doubt it.

I think I may just keep to bashing religion in the Everything Else board.

I'm still getting the hang of this site myself, but I'm not clear on what your complaint is.

i am having issues as well
    some of it is structural - call it 'separate but equal' - that this is still just an extension of the parent site but no (or few) new posters have added to/altered the culture -- BUT it's not as fluid as just jumping on/off pages

then content wise, it feels like we spend entirely too much time trying to prove the earth is round
    a small handful of 'flat earthers' tend to derail most posts
    unfortunately i get the sense this is exactly what they wanted to happen as they gaslit the former board

I would say that it's your fault if you're not enjoying the site. It's a blank slate to be made into whatever we want it to be. I had an old building developer one time tell me that when you build a shopping center, it would be wisest to not install sidewalks right away, and wait to see how the pedestrian traffic moved so you don't build them in less than ideal spots.

This is essentially what Andrus has done here. A nice new appealing shopping center built and ready for use, and he's letting us show where we want the sidewalks to be built. And if we can't come together for something as simple as that process, then shame on us.

Last edited:
    Yes, kudos to Andrus & Co. for putting this venue together and inviting us in. Overall, I'd say the positives outweigh the negatives and the potential exists to make this into a go-to web destination.

I will take a moment to reflect here and share thoughts that have occurred to me over time.

The attack pack mentality which led to the exodus of nearly every poster from one side of the political spectrum is still around, but diminished.

There's still no shortage of attempts to turn this into a smack board, which probably has Andrus pulling his hair out while he and the staff have to pull the weeds. C'mon, y'all, we're better than this.

You've still got one group of individuals that uses the pronoun "we" when they're addressing other individual posters, ominously acting as though they are speaking for some larger, powerful tribe, rather than just themselves.

Code words like "disingenuous" which used to trigger a dog pile of successive condemnations, negative reps and subsequent calls for removal of the offending poster still rally a few followers, who suffer the delusion that the site is "theirs."

Incessant hounding and demands for links to every utterance and demands for fact checks for things that people can look up on their own, if they so desire, still seems to be the social norm.

Over-used accusations of "conspiracy theory" and "spreading a false narrative" still abound, still being lined up as a pretext to get other posters removed from the site. It seems to be a hard habit to break.

You'd think that after the FBI was found to have deliberately falsified documents to obtain FISA warrants, it would dawn on people that maybe they shouldn't toss around accusations like that so carelessly.

Even when it turns out that what was labeled a "conspiracy theory" and a "false narrative" turns out to be the truth, retractions and/or apologies never seem to materialize, while excuses to continue the such accusations proliferate.

Overall, I've kept coming back to see how this experiment pans out. It's my sincere hope that it can become what Andrus envisioned it to be.

Last edited:
    Well we did take this site and in some way separate it from all the traffic of SaintsReport. My complaint is that it seems "dead". Not really sure if that can be remedied. I think what was desired, to remove political discussion from SR, has been a success to some extent.

Now we're here and the verdict will take a while to be returned

I would say that it's your fault if you're not enjoying the site. It's a blank slate to be made into whatever we want it to be. I had an old building developer going down tell me that when you build a shopping center, it would be wisest to not install sidewalks right away, and wait to see how the pedestrian traffic moved so you don't build them in less than ideal spots.

This is essentially what Andrus has done here. A nice new appealing shopping center built and ready for use, and he's letting us show where we want the sidewalks to be built. And if we can't come together for something as simple as that process, then shame on us.
    I presume that developer also had a vision of what type of vendors he would hope those sidewalks would eventually connect to and what type of consumers it would attract and use them?

He wasn’t just opening up the buildings and letting anyone walk through or occupy his spaces?

And those choices likely determine whether you are going to attract good buying consumers or vandals and ruffians. (I am saying this as a general principle, and a general response, not implied toward this site or anyone involved with its operation here)

Site specifically though, and directly toward this topic, my interest has also been waning. As it seems there has yet to be a topic of discussion that hasn’t devolved into a few of the same posters crowding out meaningful arguments and discussions with incredibly low effort engagement that simply overwhelms the topic a majority of the time. The internet equivalent of a dog dragging his arse across the carpet in every room they go in. Where everyone is inevitably drawn to the behavior, therefore making personally ignoring the behavior meaningless when the dog will remain the focus of the room, but powerless to mitigate it except to just try and talk to the dog as nicely as possible to get him to stop dragging his arse across every room instead of someone just removing the dog from the room.

Incessant hounding and demands for links to every utterance and demands for fact checks for things that people can look up on their own, if they so desire, still seems to be the social norm.

Over-used accusations of "conspiracy theory" and "spreading a false narrative" still abound, still being lined up as a pretext to get other posters removed from the site. It seems to be a hard habit to break.

You'd think that after the FBI was found to have deliberately falsified documents to obtain FISA warrants, it would dawn on people that maybe they shouldn't toss around accusations like that so carelessly.

Even when it turns out that what was labeled a "conspiracy theory" and a "false narrative" turns out to be the truth, retractions and/or apologies never seem to materialize, while excuses to continue the such accusations proliferate.

I've noticed, as have many others, that many (not all, but many) conservatives and particularly Trump supporters that post here have a track record of drive by postings, a lack of civil engagement and intelligent back and forth discussion protocol, as well as a visible aggravation to fact checking their statements.

I try to always admit when I am wrong, and have on many occasions to both sides. However, what I mentioned above is objectively noticeable to most on the board and is likely partially due to the narrative of America's current CiC.

If we want decent, respectable discussion here, I'd advise establishing a track record of consistent dialogue vs bolting or calling out everyone on the site because there is a perceived narrative all have this disposition. I argue more with liberals than I do conservatives, and I'm as left as one can get (in the US political spectrum, at least).

I do try to give people the benefit of the doubt as well. I will always apologize if I have misinterpreted. The very exchange that DD seems to be complaining about included an apology from me, and then he says there is never an apology. 🤷‍♀️

I think it’s harmful when posters bring in unproven conspiracy theories and try to pass them off as fact, though. When this happens it becomes impossible to have a fact based conversation, because there are no facts. Or rather one side gets to make up their facts.

And it’s sometimes all in the presentation. One could postulate a theory, and openly admit it‘s conjecture, and then a conversation could be had. But if one presents their opinion as fact, in a definitive manner, then it’s not really fair to be outraged when folks ask for proof.

There has been a reluctance to disclose sources from the conservative side. Even to the point of using screen shots and editing tweets so that others cant tell where the material originated. IMO, this should be discouraged.

It would be nice if posters from the conservative side could admit when they are wrong about something, and apologize. The other day a conservative poster used a term incorrectly, ascribing to the term a meaning that was inaccurate. It was pointed out that that wasn’t the meaning of the term, and then when the poster still insisted, the dictionary definition was given. Then, crickets. Small courtesies, like simply saying “oh, I guess I was wrong, and I learned something” would go a long way.

I presume that developer also had a vision of what type of vendors he would hope those sidewalks would eventually connect to and what type of consumers it would attract and use them?

He wasn’t just opening up the buildings and letting anyone walk through or occupy his spaces?

And those choices likely determine whether you are going to attract good buying consumers or vandals and ruffians. (I am saying this as a general principle, and a general response, not implied toward this site or anyone involved with its operation here)

Site specifically though, and directly toward this topic, my interest has also been waning. As it seems there has yet to be a topic of discussion that hasn’t devolved into a few of the same posters crowding out meaningful arguments and discussions with incredibly low effort engagement that simply overwhelms the topic a majority of the time. The internet equivalent of a dog dragging his arse across the carpet in every room they go in. Where everyone is inevitably drawn to the behavior, therefore making personally ignoring the behavior meaningless when the dog will remain the focus of the room, but powerless to mitigate it except to just try and talk to the dog as nicely as possible to get him to stop dragging his arse across every room instead of someone just removing the dog from the room.

That's what politics is today. We have entered a period during which it seems that one side simply doesn't want to discuss anything. They get their marching orders from Fox and march. When they engage in shameless behavior, they accuse the other side of the exact same thing. There are no limits to the low to which they'll stoop to get their way and no hypocrisy that even registers on their morality meters.

We are honestly debating whether climate change is related to human activity. Think about that for a second.

Well so far I am liking it... It's nice to have a conservative voice around here and have them be able to speak up without the fear of repercussions.

As to this. I've noticed, as have many others, that many (not all, but many) conservatives and particularly Trump supporters that post here have a track record of drive by postings, a lack of civil engagement and intelligent back and forth discussion protocol, as well as a visible aggravation to fact checking their statements.

Again... Some of you guys have some kind of fascination or fisxture on how people are suppossed to be posting around here and what is protocol. What you see as a drive by or troll posting may actually be just a simple communication of facts in the simplest form.

Not everyone went to college, Not everyone is a liberal, not everyone lives in S. Louisiana, not everyone sits at a computer all day for a job, Not everyone is the same age... or in today's worlds... May not even be one of the two genders..

Last edited:
    That's what politics is today. We have entered a period during which it seems that one side simply doesn't want to discuss anything. They get their marching orders from CNN and MSNBC. When they engage in shameless behavior, they accuse the other side of the exact same thing. There are no limits to the low to which they'll stoop to get their way and no hypocrisy that even registers on their morality meters.

Fixed it for ya...

Well so far I am liking it... It's nice to have a conservative voice around here and have them be able to speak up without the fear of repercussions.

As to this. I've noticed, as have many others, that many (not all, but many) conservatives and particularly Trump supporters that post here have a track record of drive by postings, a lack of civil engagement and intelligent back and forth discussion protocol, as well as a visible aggravation to fact checking their statements.

Again... Some of you guys have some kind of fascination or fisxture on how people are suppossed to be posting around here and what is protocol. What you see as a drive by or troll posting may actually be just a simple communication of facts in the simplest form.

Not everyone went to college, Not everyone is a liberal, not everyone lives in S. Louisiana, not everyone sits at a computer all day for a job, Not everyone is the same age... or in today's worlds... May not even be one of the two genders..

So therefore everyone's posting style may not be the same either. So to set some kind of rules as to: "This is how you are supposed to post, debate, or participate IMHO is hogwash as Greta Thurnbergs Parents true goals.

so, this is almost a good post, Joe. So close, but then you bring up Greta’s parents for some reason? And intimate they have some sort of ulterior motive, I’m guessing? This is the kind of junk that is objectionable on many different levels, at least to people who want to have civil fact-based conversations. It should be beneath the level of what we find acceptable for this board.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom