How Trump Could Lose the Election—And Still Remain President (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

He is not going to lose the election.

(mod edit) JOE has nothing to run on. He is senile. And the LAST thing he wants is to run on the record of his eight years with Obama because today we are seeing the SAME results with the economy.

This lockdown is just reminding us how bad it was under Obama.

On Election Night, (mod edit) JOE will make that call to President Trump around 9:30 after discovering he has lost his own home state. He'll be reading his concession from a pad his handlers wrote for him.

You could be right, Joe could very well lose the election.. right now, i think it’s about 50/50.. To listen to a lot of talking heads, you’d think the election is already in the bag for Joe.. Even though I’ll be voting for Joe, I’m not nearly as confident that he’ll win as you seem to be that your (apparently) chosen candidate , Trump, will win.. To be frank, you remind me a lot of Hillary voters in 2016 who were oh-so-confident that she had it wrapped up.. All’s I’m saying is put up all the bravado you want, just dont be surprised if it backfires on you.. Me, i wont be surprised either way.

In re to Joe being senile, i think you’re right.. however, Trump IMO is further along in his decline, he is completely detached from reality and facts.. however, for whatever reason, Trump is a lot like Bill Clinton in that he’s teflon, and his obvious mental decline doesnt stick, it bounces off him and he somehow gets a pass for it.. Why? I honestly don’t know.

But the biggest problem i have with your post is that the question wasnt about if there’s any chance that trump could lose.. The question, and the entire premise of this thread- was about what happens if Trump were to lose, and then refuse to go.. So , to quote John McEnroe- “The QUESTION! Answer the question!!”

Last edited by a moderator:
    you won’t hear from the Limbaugh sycophant.

Unless that clown comes back as a zombie account (again) he gots da ban hammer

The only way you can think that losing the popular doesn't matter, is if you really don't give a F&^K about people who didn't vote for you. Any President worth their salt understands this and governs as the President of all Americans, not just the representative of those who supported him/her, especially if they don't win the popular vote. Even more especially if their present themselves, as Trump did, as a uniter not a divider. Anything else is bullshirt.

The scenario discussed in this new Atlantic piece isn't that different than the one in the OP. It's a lengthy, well-researched piece.

And this piece claims evidence that Trump is already preparing for this:

The worst case, however, is not that Trump rejects the election outcome. The worst case is that he uses his power to prevent a decisive outcome against him. If Trump sheds all restraint, and if his Republican allies play the parts he assigns them, he could obstruct the emergence of a legally unambiguous victory for Biden in the Electoral College and then in Congress. He could prevent the formation of consensus about whether there is any outcome at all. He could seize on that uncertainty to hold on to power.

Trump’s state and national legal teams are already laying the groundwork for postelection maneuvers that would circumvent the results of the vote count in battleground states. Ambiguities in the Constitution and logic bombs in the Electoral Count Act make it possible to extend the dispute all the way to Inauguration Day, which would bring the nation to a precipice. The Twentieth Amendment is crystal clear that the president’s term in office “shall end” at noon on January 20, but two men could show up to be sworn in. One of them would arrive with all the tools and power of the presidency already in hand.

“We are not prepared for this at all,” Julian Zelizer, a Princeton professor of history and public affairs, told me. “We talk about it, some worry about it, and we imagine what it would be. But few people have actual answers to what happens if the machinery of democracy is used to prevent a legitimate resolution to the election.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/11/what-if-trump-refuses-concede/616424/

If Trump somehow manages to undermine the election, and refuses to accept defeat, what are the options?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom