How to improve American Education in 2021. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul

Reaction score
    Latin American from Potomac, Maryland 20854
    The most recent PISA results, from 2015, placed the U.S. an unimpressive 38th out of 71 countries in math and 24th in science. Among the 35 members of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which sponsors the PISA initiative, the U.S. ranked 30th in math and 19th in science.

My suggestion is rather simple.

1. Study why immigrants from East Asia, India, and Nigeria do well with American education. Apply that insight to other groups (if possible).
    2. Manage public schools as if though they were private schools with uniforms and discipline.
    3. Create high end special schools for those that are truly disenfranchised.
    4. Create a force of social workers to treat family dysfunction with regards to education.
    5. Reduce the curriculum to the simple basics and repeat that on a yearly basis.
    6. At about 10th grade divide college bound students away from non-college bound.
    7. Provide solid basic education and trade training for non-college bound kids. There is no point in offering free college to these kids.

Last edited:
    I can recognized politeness and acting in a proper manner when I see it. I also understand that there are cultural variations. However, humans are fundamentally the same when it comes to treating others with respect and dignity.

What do you propose to improve the education system in poor areas?
    Higher taxes you and dumping it into those areas.

In my
    IN the state of Maryland that scheme has not worked. Throwing money at education without an obvious plan does not work

Per pupil spending according to 2020 U.S. Census report:

• New York City -------------------- $26,588
    • Boston ----------------------------- $24,177
    • Atlanta ----------------------------- $16,402
    • Montgomery County ------------ $16,005
    • Baltimore City -------------------- $15,793
    • Howard County (6) -------------- $15,595
    • Prince George’s County (8) ----- $15,334
    • Baltimore County (15) ---------- $14,122
    • Anne Arundel County (17) ----- $13,866
    The difference academic achievement between Montgomery County (where I live) and Baltimore City is not related to different level of funding. I will also bet that academic scores in New York are no better than in my county, but I could be wrong. I will look it up.

Per pupil is the absolute dumbest way to measure success or failure. Those dollars aren’t evenly distributed and as long as parents can fundraise specifically for their school, it isn’t even close.

$ per pupils is for the intellectually lazy so I shouldn’t be surprised in its use here.

The ten states with the highest per pupil spending are:

1. New York - $24,040
    2. District of Columbia - $22,759
    3. Connecticut - $20,635
    4. New Jersey - $20,021
    5. Vermont - $19,40
    6. Alaska - $17,726
    7. Massachusetts - $17,058
    8. New Hampshire - $16,893
    9. Pennsylvania - $16,395
    10. Wyoming - $16,224

The following ten states had the highest SAT scores:

1. Minnesota - 1257
    2. Wisconsin - 1243
    3. Kansas - 1237
    4. North Dakota - 1231
    5. Nebraska - 1229
    6. Iowa - 1220
    7. Wyoming - 1220
    8. South Dakota - 1218
    9. Missouri - 1212
    10. Kentucky - 1207
    The following ten states had the lowest SAT scores:

1. West Virginia - 936
    2. Oklahoma - 971
    3. Delaware - 978
    4. Idaho - 984
    5. District of Columbia - 989
    6. Rhode Island - 990
    7. Florida - 992
    8. Maine - 995
    9. Michigan - 998
    10. Illinois - 1007
    DC is number 2 in the nation in spending and in the bottom five in SAT scores.

This is much more than just throwing money at the problem.

1. New York - $24,040
    3. Connecticut - $20,635
    4. New Jersey - $20,021
    5. Vermont - $19,40
    6. Alaska - $17,726
    10. Wyoming - $16,224

1. Minnesota - 1257
    2. Wisconsin - 1243
    3. Kansas - 1237
    4. North Dakota - 1231
    5. Nebraska - 1229
    6. Iowa - 1220
    7. Wyoming - 1220
    8. South Dakota - 1218
    9. Missouri - 1212
    10. Kentucky - 1207

1. West Virginia - 936
    2. Oklahoma - 971
    3. Delaware - 978
    4. Idaho - 984
    6. Rhode Island - 990
    7. Florida - 992
    8. Maine - 995
    9. Michigan - 998
    10. Illinois - 1007

Yea, you seem to care more about the top 5 percentile. SAT scores are not a measure of a successful education system.

Education has to be focused on the 50% percentile. That's where most of the people are.

I'm not debating you on this though, your level of knowledge on this topic isn't high enough to have a proper discussion. Others have more patience for you .

Yea, you seem to care more about the top 5 percentile. SAT scores are not a measure of a successful education system.

Education has to be focused on the 50% percentile. That's where most of the people are.

I'm not debating you on this though, your level of knowledge on this topic isn't high enough to have a proper discussion. Others have more patience for you .
    Your condescending attitude is noted. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

One last question: Does the 50% percentile correlate with dollars spent?

Last edited:
    https://nypost.com/2021/09/15/virginia-teacher-says-making-kids-behave-is-white-supremacy/

Everyone remember that neat little webpage BLM set up about Math, being punctual, the family unit ect...being racist. Well, this dude does for sure. Apparently behaving in class is white supremacy now. How racist is that? He and BLM are essentially saying POC are incapable to behave in class due to their skin color.

This is definitely not a way to improve american education.

You got a better source? I know you get tired of hearing it, and lord knows I get tired of saying it. But it has to be pointed out that the NY Post recently ordered a reporter to write a story about Kamala Harris that they knew to be false. Like completely made up. The reporter did it, but felt so guilty about it that she resigned after and made the incident public.

So, NY Post has to be looked at as suspect.

Media Bias/Fact Check say this (and they haven’t evaluated since the Harris story):

• Overall we rate the New York Post on the far end of Right-Center Biased due to story selection that typically favors the Right and Mixed (borderline questionable) for factual reporting based on several failed fact checks.

There will be another story when this crack pot is removed from the classroom like so many in the last few weeks.

I can't figure it. They know that by posting this on Ticktoc they will be found out and reprimanded but I guess the rush of virtue signaling is too much for them. That is what the weak minded crave, acceptance.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/15/virginia-teacher-says-making-kids-behave-is-white-supremacy/

Everyone remember that neat little webpage BLM set up about Math, being punctual, the family unit ect...being racist. Well, this dude does for sure. Apparently behaving in class is white supremacy now. How racist is that? He and BLM are essentially saying POC are incapable to behave in class due to their skin color.

Story is garbage. That isn’t what PBIS is, so any relation to that automatically throws it in the trash. As far as the rest it’s a chunk of distorted red meat for a base. Loaded with emotional outrage. Man I wish people would actually read for content rather than Emotional outrage

Story is garbage. That isn’t what PBIS is, so any relation to that automatically throws it in the trash. As far as the rest it’s a chunk of distorted red meat for a base. Loaded with emotional outrage. Man I wish people would actually read for content rather than Emotional outrage
    Cool. Thanks!

You got a better source? I know you get tired of hearing it, and lord knows I get tired of saying it. But it has to be pointed out that the NY Post recently ordered a reporter to write a story about Kamala Harris that they knew to be false. Like completely made up. The reporter did it, but felt so guilty about it that she resigned after and made the incident public.

So, NY Post has to be looked at as suspect.

Media Bias/Fact Check say this (and they haven’t evaluated since the Harris story):

• Overall we rate the New York Post on the far end of Right-Center Biased due to story selection that typically favors the Right and Mixed (borderline questionable) for factual reporting based on several failed fact checks.
    Have we not learned I could careless about what you guys feel about a website. If there is problem, point it out the incorrections otherwise, save yourself some time and don't.

Well, I noticed you did a thorough response to Goatman’s critique of the article, so I don’t see that it much matters whichever way we choose to discuss it with you.

I read his article in NEA, and viewed his TikTok. Here’s my take. The article was nothing more than an opinion piece about how he was doing such a great job. Absolutely zero examples of what he was actually doing mind you. He also praised PBIS in his article, which he later slammed in his TikTok. He definitely has a message and an agenda.
    In relation to PBIS here’s the jist for those who don’t know. First is to assume kids don’t know what you expect as a teacher. So you explicitly model and practice expectations. The whole point of PBIS, and my wife could say this much better than I, is a tiered intervention system. Essentially, it’s making kids aware of their actions, how it effects others, what they can do to recognize these behaviors and how to seek help. Also in the upper tiers a mentor to check in on them in good and bad days, and a rewards system. What it is trying to go against is random and illogical discipline. Now, how that is racist, I have no clue. How that is a matter of white supremacy, once again, no clue. How having a mentor check on you, how to ideally monitor your own behavior and get help when needed is white supremacy once again I do not understand. But, honestly PBIS has become a whipping boy as schools don’t spend the money or take the commitment to do it correctly, then it results in no discipline at all as the old discipline is tossed and the other is put in poorly and ineffective. So at any point on this I still can’t understand his agenda. If anything older style assertive discipline is far more harsh on students who come from lower economic classes and don’t have the behavioral norms that let’s face it you need in life.

Now let’s face it it’s screamingly obvious he has an agenda. He is purposefully kicking hornets nests just because he can. He’s the ideal social media influencer. Big on emotions and statements, very very light on facts and proof. So, while some may want to take what he’s saying and point to a failure of a system and all that, I honestly see someone who is just crying me me me look at me.

1. New York - $24,040
    3. Connecticut - $20,635
    4. New Jersey - $20,021
    5. Vermont - $19,40
    6. Alaska - $17,726
    10. Wyoming - $16,224

1. Minnesota - 1257
    2. Wisconsin - 1243
    3. Kansas - 1237
    4. North Dakota - 1231
    5. Nebraska - 1229
    6. Iowa - 1220
    7. Wyoming - 1220
    8. South Dakota - 1218
    9. Missouri - 1212
    10. Kentucky - 1207

1. West Virginia - 936
    2. Oklahoma - 971
    3. Delaware - 978
    4. Idaho - 984
    6. Rhode Island - 990
    7. Florida - 992
    8. Maine - 995
    9. Michigan - 998
    10. Illinois - 1007

You're assuming the cost of land, buildings, power, water, etc is all the same in every city or state.

That would be a bad assumption. It's why "per student spending" isn't a good metric to compare.

Well, that guy is an idiot. Honestly, he comes off as trying too hard. I didn't read the whole article, but the teacher is definitely a try hard and is over doing it.

Well, that guy is an idiot. Honestly, he comes off as trying too hard. I didn't read the whole article, but the teacher is definitely a try hard and is over doing it.

Oh, someone is definitely a try hard and overdoing it alright. :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom