FBI thwarts Michigan "militia" plot to kidnap Michigan Governor (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    The group, six of which are identified and charged in the criminal complaint, has been recruiting, including at the 2nd Amendment rally at the Michigan state house earlier this year, and "training" in August. Th group has also allegedly stockpiled weapons and other material for the plan. The plan included talk of kidnapping other governors.

The FBI has now made multiple public comments that right-wing militias are a threat to peace in the United States, particularly as we move toward an uncertain time with a presidential election in the midst of a pandemic.

According to the complaint, a Michigan-based militia group attempted to recruit members for the operation, which included storming the Capitol building in Lansing and take hostages, including Whitmer. The plan was reportedly supposed to be executed before the November 2020 election.

The militia group reportedly held several meetings over the summer where they participated in firearms training and combat drills; they also attempted to build IED devices, which were faulty and did not detonate as planned, according to the complaint.

The group then reportedly decided to abduct the governor at her vacation home and take her to a secure location in Wisconsin for "trial."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...nap-michigan-gov-gretchen-whitmer/5922301002/

Here is the full criminal complaint filed in federal court in Michigan:

I have attended Saints games. I am not a member of the Saints......

AP has a good article about this. I have a major problem with the sheriff quoted in the article.

What were you saying about BLM?

Don't young men become radicalized fairly quickly sometimes? I think there's stuff out there with Islamic terrorism where you see the shift fairly quickly. Don't know the details here but doesn't seem unreasonable that a 23 year old could have become radicalized in the time since June, especially in this economic environment mixed with the lockdowns.

I have attended Saints games. I am not a member of the Saints......

AP has a good article about this. I have a major problem with the sheriff quoted in the article.

Yeah, fork Sherriff Dar. Perhaps I should organize a group to "arrest" him for failure of reading comprehension and endorsement of a terrorist conspiracy.

He's an anarchist and hates police. Does that sound like a Trump supporter? I know the media and Democrats will due their best to try to tie him to Trump.

Actually, it does sound exactly like some Trump supporters. Historically, right wing militias have been anti-police and anti-government; their tie to Trump is not for those reasons but for his nativism. Many of those same militias are also anti-immigrant and white supremacist, attitudes which are right up Trump's alley.

Last edited:
    Wow. That dude should be out of job. If these guys were in his jurisdiction and he willfully did ignored the threat, he should be held accountable.
    Unless he is CHS1 or 2, which I doubt, He turned a blind eye to their actions because he supports them. He's already on the record condoning and excusing their plans.

I guess that the stories will just trickle out.

Underscores that there are bad people in all walks of life. Just because someone is a doctor, priest, police officer, or served in the military, does not mean they don't have the potential to commit craven acts.

Underscores that there are bad people in all walks of life. Just because someone is a doctor, priest, police officer, or served in the military, does not mean they don't have the potential to commit craven acts.
    Other than physician, I was raised to distrust every other profession that you listed.

It's like I told my wife. Some of the best people I've ever met were fellow Marines. Some of the worst people I've ever met are fellow Marines.

I guess that the stories will just trickle out.

I think it shows how important proper contextualized information is. I bet these guys were truly convinced that the governor was violating the rights of the people and that police violence has gone too far.

Just got a push the same group was also looking at kidnapping Virginia Governor Ralph Northam

EDIT - here is the article

(CNN)The group charged with plotting to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer also discussed kidnapping Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, an FBI agent testified in court on Tuesday.

FBI agent Richard Trask testified during a preliminary hearing that the group discussed taking out sitting governors due to their "coronavirus-related lockdown orders."
    "They discussed possible targets, taking a sitting governor, specifically governors of Michigan and Virginia, over shut down orders," Trask said...........

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/13/us/kidnap-plot-governor-michigan-virginia/index.html

I think it shows how important proper contextualized information is. I bet these guys were truly convinced that the governor was violating the rights of the people and that police violence has gone too far.
    We know for a fact that BLM supporters are absolutely convinced that police violence has gone too far. We also know for a fact that lots of BLM supporters served in the Marines and other branches. How many BLM supporters have been arrested for trying to kidnap and execute elected representatives?

There's more to this than just being "convinced that the governor was violating the rights of the people and that police violence has gone too far." There are Republican governors that have had similar policies in response to COVID-19. They are targeting just the Democratic governors for a reason. I'll reconsider my opinion if we discover they targeted Republicans as well.

We know for a fact that BLM supporters are absolutely convinced that police violence has gone too far. We also know for a fact that lots of BLM supporters served in the Marines and other branches. How many BLM supporters have been arrested for trying to kidnap and execute elected representatives?

There's more to this than just being "convinced that the governor was violating the rights of the people and that police violence has gone too far." There are Republican governors that have had similar policies in response to COVID-19. They are targeting just the Democratic governors for a reason. I'll reconsider my opinion if we discover they targeted Republicans as well.
    Yeah, I didn't convey my thought well.. I missed the 'twisted' thought. Like where good intentions go really, dark and really wrong.

And that's not me saying they were well intended, just seeing how things can start out, then fall off a cliff.

Yeah, I didn't convey my thought well.. I missed the 'twisted' thought. Like where good intentions go really, dark and really wrong.

And that's not me saying they were well intended, just seeing how things can start out, then fall off a cliff.
    I see what you mean now. Unfortunately, that's how extremist recruit and rapidly radicalize otherwise ordinary people. Start of with a reasonable idea that most agree with and then twist that in little steps towards a radical and dark place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom