FBI thwarts Michigan "militia" plot to kidnap Michigan Governor (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    The group, six of which are identified and charged in the criminal complaint, has been recruiting, including at the 2nd Amendment rally at the Michigan state house earlier this year, and "training" in August. Th group has also allegedly stockpiled weapons and other material for the plan. The plan included talk of kidnapping other governors.

The FBI has now made multiple public comments that right-wing militias are a threat to peace in the United States, particularly as we move toward an uncertain time with a presidential election in the midst of a pandemic.

According to the complaint, a Michigan-based militia group attempted to recruit members for the operation, which included storming the Capitol building in Lansing and take hostages, including Whitmer. The plan was reportedly supposed to be executed before the November 2020 election.

The militia group reportedly held several meetings over the summer where they participated in firearms training and combat drills; they also attempted to build IED devices, which were faulty and did not detonate as planned, according to the complaint.

The group then reportedly decided to abduct the governor at her vacation home and take her to a secure location in Wisconsin for "trial."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...nap-michigan-gov-gretchen-whitmer/5922301002/

Here is the full criminal complaint filed in federal court in Michigan:

The FBI charged them with conspiracy to commit terrorism right? I'd say they are domestic terrorists. Is someone saying they're not?

No it's not. Anger and anxiety are at a higher level across a larger portion of the population, but that's not rage.

Domestic extremist are a serious threat. They have been for at least 15 years. It's irrational and approaches paranoia to think that a large number of people are going to go a wide scale assassination spree if Trump loses the election. If the outcome of a presidential election was ever going to set that off, like @wardorican said, it would have happened after Obama won.

Saying there be wide scale assassinations if Trump loses sounds like the kind of fearmongering I'd expect from Trump and his supporters. I mean, who's to say the palpable rage you think you're sensing isn't actually directed against Trump and him winning is what will set off the assassination spree that you fear?
    I did not say wide scale. We are also at a far different place in terms of political discourse than we were twelve years ago when Obama first won.

So NOW the people are who are advocating and planning violence and crime are "anarchists." Cute. Lovely. So. So. predictable.

lol. If any non-white people were remotely involved we'd here the quacking ducks.....ANTIFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLM!!!!!!!!

MUH LAW AND ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

party and ideology of "conservatism" lol. It's a pathetic pathology at this point.

Last edited:
    So NOW the people are who are advocating and planning violence and crime are "anarchists." Cute. Lovely. So. So. predictable.

lol. If any non-white people were remotely involved we'd here the quacking ducks.....ANTIFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLM!!!!!!!!

MUH LAW AND ORDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

party and ideology of "conservatism" lol. It's a pathetic pathology at this point.

Yeah, none of that passes for classic, practical conservatism. It's something else entirely these days It's a big reason I'm in the moderate camp now.

I did not say wide scale. We are also at a far different place in terms of political discourse than we were twelve years ago when Obama first won.
    Well saying you expect multiple assassination attempts to me is wide scale. Did you miss all the hatred spewed at Obama? That's when this level of political discourse started. It got turned up to 11 then and we've been stuck on 11 ever since.

And there's absolutely no indications that things will get any worse if Trump loses versus Biden losing. It just seems like needless and baseless fearmongering or paranoia to think there will be lots of assassinations if Trump loses.

Well saying you expect multiple assassination attempts to me is wide scale. Did you miss all the hatred spewed at Obama? That's when this level of political discourse started. It got turned up to 11 then and we've been stuck on 11 ever since.

And there's absolutely no indications that things will get any worse if Trump loses versus Biden losing. It just seems like needless and baseless fearmongering or paranoia to think there will be lots of assassinations if Trump loses.

Same here. I was genuinely worried during Obama's 2 terms, yet nothing happened, and with Trump nothing has happened yet. Hopefully nothing comes of it. There are crazy people out there, but we've been pretty fortunate ever since the Reagan assassination attempt.

Let's take a bit of a deep breath here. Honestly, the only modern president I was worried about being attacked was Obama.
    Why are you assuming that the assassination attempts would only be on the president?

We’re literally discussing the potential kidnapping and execution of the governor of Michigan.

It’s very possible that if Trump loses, no democratic politicians are safe.

Why are you assuming that the assassination attempts would only be on the president?

We’re literally discussing the potential kidnapping and execution of the governor of Michigan.

To be fair, it turned into a discussion of the President, but, I don't think the fallout of Trump losing will be necessarily much different than any other previous transfer of power. There's always some risk of politicians of either party being attacked after any election. Not saying it can't happen because it has happened, and not all that long ago. But it's fairly rare, fortunately.

Yeah, none of that passes for classic, practical conservatism. It's something else entirely these days It's a big reason I'm in the moderate camp now.

Exactly why compared to most people living in the South, I'm probably a "liberal" now, because those on the right have demonized so much of the values and positions that I have politically and socially. It's the party and ideology of stupid. And over the past 10 years they're getting worse with the race-baiting, conspiracy theories, and demonizing EVERYONE who isn't white, male, and Christian. They're anti-science. Anti-logic, anti-equality, anti-empathy, anti-women's rights. They're anti-American for parroting and using patriotism as a weapon while excusing away (and even BLAMING the "left and libruls") for the president of the F'n United States for facilitating foreign interference in a presidential election. And NO, it doesn't matter that the US has had a loooong history of interfering with others' elections; I'd rather we have a smarter foreign policy, but it does not EXCUSE the president, worse committing treason, and BEST undermining AMERICAN democratic, voting traditions.

And when you strip them down to the nuts and bolts, the only (and the ONLY) thing they have it seems is well....the evil lubrules the left...the media. It's not conservative. It's authoritarian and racist. Trump is emboldening Fascism. I'm sick of all the excuses and just want him OUT.

My point was simply that many of these groups also intersect with hate groups, and if they didn't go after the black man who was president, maybe they won't go after many others...

There are always crazies. These guys are one group.. so is the whacko who went after the congressional softball game.

I'm just not running for the bunker yet. Felt like this topic was going a little sideways. That's just me. I could be wrong, and often am. ;)

Agree 100%

Need to stop with all the ‘militia’ talk

5B6AC1C1-5DC6-4D93-B064-C5FC3C6F88E4.png

F6177F8A-9D15-4481-BE13-0B652FC1C039.png
    I don't get the point here? Is this sarcasm or not?

Because...

According to the affidavit, Musico and Morrison are founding members of the Wolverine Watchmen, which authorities described as “an anti-government, anti-law enforcement militia group.

Well, I think the question should be framed as whether leaving the word terrorist out was intentional or not. I don't know. Hard to tell tbh.
    If it was a group of American born Muslim citizens calling themselves a militia, do you think any law enforcement organization would have used any word other than terrorist?

Law enforcement is still avoiding calling them what they actually are. There's a reason for that and it's not a good reason.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree then. From everything I have seen the tone of politics in this country has fallen off a cliff under the Trump administration. Yes, we had the Tea Party before, and yes we had extremists but not like we have now. It is staggering how far this country has fallen in the last twenty or so years.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree then. From everything I have seen the tone of politics in this country has fallen off a cliff under the Trump administration. Yes, we had the Tea Party before, and yes we had extremists but not like we have now. It is staggering how this country has fallen in the last twenty or so years.

I don't think it's all that much different in terms of fringe groups. They've been around a long time. I'll admit the rhetoric is relatively more ramped up, but I'm not sure the groups out there are all that much different than in the past. I mean, there was Waco, the OKC bombing, the attack on the softball game, the attack on Gabby Giffords, Ruby Ridge, and the list goes on. All of those things happened more than 4 years ago. So those people/groups who intend to do harm have always been out there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom