Debt Ceiling (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Lapaz

Reaction score
    McCarthy is totally out of his depth here. No surprise to anyone.

That is why you do not negotiate with terrorist. Once you give them something, they will ask for more and more.
    This is the biggest problem. I’m sure Biden can come to terms that McCarthy can agree to, but the damage of actually negotiating is going to be long term. It has opened up a Pandora’s box. It may be too late for this round of debt ceiling raising, but Biden has to force the courts to vote on the constitutionality. If they deem that the debt ceiling is constitutional, then all future presidents will be forced to negotiate with any divided congress. It will become the proxy for budget negotiations with a knife to your throat.

Last edited:
    Never negotiate with terrorists. Unless the deal is "LOL fork you, take us to court and explain why you think we should default and crash the global economy", in which case I support it.

Never negotiate with terrorists. Unless the deal is "LOL fork you, take us to court and explain why you think we should default and crash the global economy", in which case I support it.

It's very odd. He was there when Obama learned this lesson. Maybe he really does have dementia?

You guys are looking at this all wrong. What Biden decided to do was to just have the budget negotiations now, rather than later. By having negotiations now, Biden has significant leverage in threatening to use the Constitution to take away the R threat of default. If he had just forced them to “blink” who knows just how crazy they would have been. Half of the caucus is crazy enough and listens to Trump enough to go ahead and default. By having the budget negotiations now, he has killed two birds with one stone. He has negotiated a pretty good budget deal. They didn’t get much in concessions from what I am reading. And he doesn’t have to face a government shutdown threat from the same bunch of lunatics later this year.

Dementia, indeed. SMDH. It’s shameful to even suggest that.

Whoever you guys are reading that is denigrating this from a progressive side, well, they are more interested in pushing their ideology than in helping the country, IMO. It’ll be a good chance to weed out people you really shouldn’t be listening to.

You guys are looking at this all wrong. What Biden decided to do was to just have the budget negotiations now, rather than later. By having negotiations now, Biden has significant leverage in threatening to use the Constitution to take away the R threat of default. If he had just forced them to “blink” who knows just how crazy they would have been. Half of the caucus is crazy enough and listens to Trump enough to go ahead and default. By having the budget negotiations now, he has killed two birds with one stone. He has negotiated a pretty good budget deal. They didn’t get much in concessions from what I am reading. And he doesn’t have to face a government shutdown threat from the same bunch of lunatics later this year.

I am more than happy to change my opinion after seeing what the budget looks like. My issue is that I don't trust the GOP to negotiate in good faith. They did the same thing with the ACA, then all voted against it anyway. I hope like hell he threaded the needle on this, but when one party is always acting in bad faith, I can't believe any of it until it's set in stone.

Dementia, indeed. SMDH. It’s shameful to even suggest that.

Agreed. Biden is sharp as a tack.

Just a couple of highlights from what I have read: it only eliminates about 10% of the IRS funding that was previously approved (that’s over 10 years). The only people who have new work requirements are folks between 50-54 with no minor dependents.

Yeah, I suppose the loonies will refuse to pass it, but if the Ds all stick together they only need about 4-5 moderate Rs to pass it.

Just a couple of highlights from what I have read: it only eliminates about 10% of the IRS funding that was previously approved (that’s over 10 years). The only people who have new work requirements are folks between 50-54 with no minor dependents.

Yeah, I suppose the loonies will refuse to pass it, but if the Ds all stick together they only need about 4-5 moderate Rs to pass it.

If this is accurate, I'm not mad. People are all over Twitter calling for a Motion to Vacate right now. I wonder how those votes would shake out if the Dems all called in sick that day.

If this is accurate, I'm not mad. People are all over Twitter calling for a Motion to Vacate right now. I wonder how those votes would shake out if the Dems all called in sick that day.
    I think McCarthy would win. The alternatives are worse, IMO, which is a comment on how bad House Rs are.

Saw this comment as well:

I think McCarthy would win. The alternatives are worse, IMO, which is a comment on how bad House Rs are.

Saw this comment as well:

I read the Politico write-up on it and it doesn't look to be too bad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom