Cows don’t have fingers and can’t insult Devin Nunes on Twitter, court filing says (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

RegularChuck

Reaction score
    Part of me thinks this cow should leave Nunes alone, part of me thinks Nunes' Cow and mom are hilarious.

“No reasonable person would believe that Devin Nunes’ cow actually has a Twitter account, or that the hyperbole, satire and cow-related jokes it posts are serious facts,” reads the filing in Virginia’s Henrico County Circuit Court. “It is self-evident that cows are domesticated livestock animals and do not have the intelligence, language, or opposable digits needed to operate a Twitter account. Defendant ‘Devin Nunes’ Mom’ likewise posts satirical patronizing, nagging, mothering comments which ostensibly treat Mr. Nunes as a misbehaving child.”

The whole of me thinks that Nunes is a public figure and thus subject to ruthless parody and lampooning. That he is suing a Twitter account is pathetic in its own right, but I'm starting to think that he just doesn't want to have to compete with a separate entity to see who can make him look the most foolish.

Wow, it got so petty that the DOJ got involved. Can one of our lawyers put this into context. Abuse of power? Or just a Monday?

The Justice Department under President Donald Trump secretly obtained a grand-jury subpoena last year in an attempt to identify the person behind a Twitter account dedicated to mocking Rep. Devin Nunes of California, according to a newly unsealed court document.

But Twitter fought the subpoena, as well as an associated gag order barring the company from talking about it publicly. Twitter executives raised skepticism about whether the Justice Department might be abusing federal criminal law-enforcement power to retaliate against a critic of Nunes, a Republican who is a close ally of Trump, in violation of the First Amendment.

I don’t know, and Not A Lawyer, but saw that this isn‘t unheard of with an example where the Southern District of New York had tried to find out the identities of some internet accounts who were critical of a judge. Well, more than critical. One of the comments wished her dead or in jail or something similar. Anyway the DOJ in that location, under Preet Bharara at that time, did a secret subpoena to the website and a similar gag order. I don’t believe it worked, but I was just reading this in passing so I could be wrong about that.

It’s pretty corrupt though. I think wishing a public figure was dead is probably protected speech. And the Nunes parody account probably didn’t even do that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom