Coronavirus testing (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

dtc

Reaction score
    What is the deal with the tests?

Seems like I'm reading we are processing 30% fewer tests this week than last and we've never been testing anywhere near what we should have been.

What happened to the drive-thru testing and all that and why in this nation are we having a hard time putting our hands on freaking cotton swabs?

I find it terribly unnerving to know we haven't been able to test as well as Korea or really anywhere yet.

What gives?

I am curious as to how many members would get tested if they are not showing any symptoms and they have not been in contact with anyone that has got the virus.

Until they come up with a less invasive method I do not. Plus you would run the risk of getting sick being around people that are positive.
    I’m going to contact my doctor next week to try to schedule an appointment for an antibody test.

I’m going to contact my doctor next week to try to schedule an appointment for an antibody test.

my staff and family are all being tested tomorrow. Should know by Thursday if any of us have it.

I'm betting I had it in February and never realized it.

my staff and family are all being tested tomorrow. Should know by Thursday if any of us have it.

I'm also getting tested tomorrow. I don't know when they'll give me the results.

Are you all testing for active or antibody or both?

I was tested for the active virus on Friday because I have surgery tomorrow and it's part of the hospital pre-admission testing. I assume I was negative because my surgery is still scheduled, but I'll get confirmation tomorrow.

I'll just quote your post as a reply to this topic in general, but for all of you who are getting/will get antibody tests, it's extremely important that you find out which company's test you are being given in advance so that you can see its accuracy and 1) decide if it's worth taking and 2) understand the situation regarding false positives/negatives BEFORE you get your test results so that you can understand those results within the context of the numbers. There is a tremendous range of accuracy between many of these tests thanks to the way the FDA has handled this, and it is vital that everyone understands that before they make behavioral decisions based on the outcome.

I'll just quote your post as a reply to this topic in general, but for all of you who are getting/will get antibody tests, it's extremely important that you find out which company's test you are being given in advance so that you can see its accuracy and 1) decide if it's worth taking and 2) understand the situation regarding false positives/negatives BEFORE you get your test results so that you can understand those results within the context of the numbers. There is a tremendous range of accuracy between many of these tests thanks to the way the FDA has handled this, and it is vital that everyone understands that before they make behavioral decisions based on the outcome.

Thanks - yeah, a test that is 99% accurate gets my interest.

80% is worthless to me.

I just don't see what the purpose is of testing hundreds of thousands of healthy people that have had no contact with someone that has CV-19 nor visited any hotspots areas for this.

I do see why a person should be tested if they have been in contact with victims of CV-19, have been in hotspots or they are sick.

Last edited:
    I just don't see what the purpose is of testing hundreds of thousands of healthy people that have had no contact with someone that has CV-19 nor visited any hotspots areas for this.

I do see why a person should be tested if they have been in contact with victims of CV-19, have been in hotspots or they are sick.
    Well I guess you think people that have no symptoms don't exist?

Think that is a hoax?

People that show no symptoms are the ones we need to get in isolation. Without testing we don't know who they are.

If a person doesn't show symptoms and has an attitude like yours then they will go out and continue to spread the virus.

Why not? You have certainly read that asymptomatic carriers are the ones who unknowingly spread the virus, right?

Why not? You have certainly read that asymptomatic carriers are the ones who unknowingly spread the virus, right?

Yes sir that is the only real answer.

Yep test everyone is what needs to happen. Then only test negative ones for antibodies.

Uncle Sam could have paid for that with a fraction of the bailout.

Then all Americans could go to work confidently. If you never had it yes continue wearing masks.

Heck then employers could build shifts around how people tested.

So meat packing plants or car plants could realistically work without the fear of shutting down again.

I just had an anti-body test, but I won't get results for a couple of days. What I found interesting is that the doctor said he has conducted about 300 tests, and has only gotten 1 positive, and he thinks that is a false positive, so he will re-test that patient. The people he has tested are self-selecting themselves, so one would think they may have some reason to believe they may have had it, so the percentages of positives would be higher than the general population. My reason is that I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia October, but I wasn't tested, and since I had a dry unproductive cough, I thought this may have been undiagnosed. This suggests to me that a very small percentage of people in my area have had the virus. I live in a medium size city with many visitors, so I suspect that most of the U.S. will NOT have had a higher percentage of infected people. This may dispel the notion that a large percentage of the country has already been infected.

Last edited:
    I just had an anti-body test, but I won't get results for a couple of days. What I found interesting is that the doctor said he has conducted about 300 tests, and has only gotten 1 positive, and he things that is a false positive, so he will re-test that patient. The people he has tested are self-selecting themselves, so one would think they may have some reason to believe they may have had it, so the percentages of positives would be higher than the general population. My reason is that I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia October, but I wasn't tested, and since I had a dry unproductive cough, I thought this may have been undiagnosed. This suggests to me that a very small percentage of people in my area have had the virus. I live in a medium size city with many visitors, so I suspect that most of the U.S. will be no more likely to have had a higher percentage of infected people. This may dispel the notion that a large percentage of the country has already been infected.

Glad you got tested.

Not this winter but the one before last I got walking pneumonia and have had it a few times in my life not fun in the least and really takes a good bit of time until you are really back to where you were beforehand.

We all are gonna have to get tested eventually. I could see a point where you can't get on a plane or your employer makes it mandatory because they don't want the potential law suits.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom