Book Burning in America (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Roofgardener

Reaction score
    Well, OK.. not really.. no books have actually been BURN.. yet. But.....

Doctor Seuss Enterprises has withdrawn six Dr Seuss books from sale, on the grounds that they where 'racially insensitive imagery'.
    Yup.. the Cat in the Hat was a White Nationalist Trumpist Quanon supporter all along ! :p

Well, they have the legal right to do that. However, what happened NEXT is VERY interesting.
    The value of those six books skyrocketed on Ebay. So Ebay finally responded by... delisting the books.
    It is no longer possible to list any of the six books for sale in the USA. If you try more than once, your account can be penalised.

Now think about this. You can buy Mein Kampf, and The Protocols of the Elders of Zion on Ebay in the USA no problem.
    But you aren't ALLOWED to buy "If I ran the zoo".

OK.. this is only six out of the many dozens of books by Dr Seuss.
    At the moment.

Is it just me that finds this incredibly authoritarian ?

The thing is, I don't have to try. I don't have to provide sources because it is right there. Clear as day. There has been a rapid advance of the cancel culture in the last couple years. If you don't see it, it is because you chose not to see it or more than likely you support it. We all have are opinions and they differ. I am just not a fan of silencing the other view point like some.
    There will be a swing in momentum because the left usually over reaches. IMO

The only thing that is accelerating is how many times talking heads from Fox, Newsmax, and OANN decry "cancel culture".

There has been a rapid advance of the cancel culture in the last couple years.
    LOL

Nah. There's only been an advancement in the cancel culture you care about or that is pushed on you by the right wing outrage machine. Cancel culture has existed for centuries and nearly all that time was almost solely the purview of the right.

I think this might fit in our current conversation. Terrible situation and I hope the Father get the book thrown at him. The teen is a kid, dumb and apparently privledged but the father is an adult and caused a murder just so he could virtue signal online. To bad the teacher won't be 'revived' now that the investigation is complete.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56325254

This also has a play on it:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ure-threat-FRANCE-French-politicians-say.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/09/world/europe/france-threat-american-universities.html

What is the debate?

1. There is no cancel culture in the US and it is all made up by the right
    2. The right is the one engaged in cancel culture
    3. Both sides take part in the cancel culture
    4. The left is the one engaged in cancel culture

“Virtue signal” needs to die a slow, agonizing death. It’s just as bad, and just as abused by the right as “cancel culture”.

It is taking something that is practiced pretty much equally by both sides, and gaslighting people into believing it is only practiced by the left. So gross.

What is the debate?

Personally, I think 3. But I would say it is elements of both sides, and most of the time it's a stupid argument that doesn't really support anything.

I do think some aspect of 1 is correct, but only in the idea that it is over blown. Mob mentality is nothing new, though.

Personally, I think 3. But I would say it is elements of both sides, and most of the time it's a stupid argument that doesn't really support anything.

I do think some aspect of 1 is correct, but only in the idea that it is over blown. Mob mentality is nothing new, though.

Agreed. Both sides are engaged in it, but for very different reasons. The phrase itself is lazy and removes all nuance and looking at each incident individually because as a culture we need easy good guys and bad guys.

What is the debate?

Both sides do it (Trump tried to cancel Goodyear a year or two ago and I had people on my Facebook reposting Boycott Goodyear.. just for instance)...

Maybe it happens more often on the left, probably does - that would make sense with a progressive versus conservative party imo - and as is the nature of this topic, generally people on the right don't like things targeted by left-wing cancel culture but also don't have a problem we're targeting things for cancel on the left, and vice versa.

And because that's the way it is, that partisans cannot see their mirror image on the other side.. we'll just keep on keeping on 👉👈

Think I've posted this here before, but to me one of the more egregious examples of right-wing cancel culture was the reaction by the right of those critical of the second Gulf War. Repeatedly tying together support for the troops with support for the war itself.. if you didn't support the war then you didn't support the troops and then you were barely an American at all anymore, and at that point and you may as well be siding with Osama.

But put a forking magnet on your car and go on with your day with patriotism unquestioned and abound.. ..

Agreed. Both sides are engaged in it, but for very different reasons. The phrase itself is lazy and removes all nuance and looking at each incident individually because as a culture we need easy good guys and bad guys.

I was going to post something similar, so i'll just quote you to add, it is nothing new. We moved from bumper sticker politics to hashtag politics.

What is the debate?

Could you define "cancel culture" for us?

Could you define "cancel culture" for us?
    Thank you. The concept of "cancel culture" is mere noise. Imo, the actual issue is human fear of change. Change occurs thus some will run in circles screaming and shouting about the real or imagined impact on their internal belief systems which they also require to be the acceptable and accepted narrative of nationalistic mythology, religion or "Western Civilization" (a bullschlitz term if there ever was one).

If anyone wants to post a definition of cancel culture, please feel free.

If anyone wants to post a definition of cancel culture, please feel free.

Are you using the word without knowing what it means?

We can't debate you on whether "cancel culture" is a serious problem if you won't even define it.

Are you using the word without knowing what it means?

We can't debate you on whether "cancel culture" is a serious problem if you won't even define it.
    I don't know what else to tell you, if it means that much to you, please post a definition that we can all use while we discuss it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom