Baton Rouge public school students tricked into attending church youth event (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    This is pretty messed up. They called it "College & Career Fair" and offered students (mostly seniors) the option to attend this event - where they would get a day away from classes and free lunch ostensibly to attend a college and career fair.

But it wasn't a college and career fair - it was a Christian youth organization event. The students were separated by gender and attended lectures. The females were lectured about rape (including forgiving rapists), suicide, and resisting gender bending and transgenderism . . . many reported being traumatized. Boys had push-up contests for money.

WTH?

Alexis Budyach’s mother, Bonnie Kersch, said neither she nor her child had any idea the Day of Hope event was occurring at a church.

“She felt she was duped into thinking that she was going for a college and career fair, that she was proselytized over and prayed over,” Kersch said.

The flyer that she received beforehand listed the address for the event, 6375 Winbourne Ave., but did not make clear that that’s the address for Living Faith. If she had known that, she said, she would not have signed the permission form.

“Do I have to Google everything?” wondered Kersch.

In her Facebook post, Budyach, like Bryant, questioned the “girl talk” portion of the event. The third speaker, a mother who recounted finding her son dead after a suicide, hit far too close to home for Budyach, who has a grandfather who years ago killed himself.

That sounded like a bait and switch. Evidently no repercussions for the school administration?

This is pretty messed up. They called it "College & Career Fair" and offered students (mostly seniors) the option to attend this event - where they would get a day away from classes and free lunch ostensibly to attend a college and career fair.

But it wasn't a college and career fair - it was a Christian youth organization event. The students were separated by gender and attended lectures. The females were lectured about rape (including forgiving rapists), suicide, and resisting gender bending and transgenderism . . . many reported being traumatized. Boys had push-up contests for money.

WTH?

How is that not religious indoctrination by a public school entity? Should be an easy first amendment case, but that remains to be seen with this SC. Still, I hope the parents file a class action lawsuit against the school board and superintendent.

Outrageous. And if I were one of those kids I would have walked out.
    I don’t know the local geography, but they were bused there, so they may have been far from any other sort of transportation? And possibly with no money. I would have wanted to walk out, too, just not sure how feasible that really was.

Yeah they just violated those kids’ constitutional rights.

And some on this board are worried about indoctrination from a singular teacher.

This is an entire school forcibly indoctrinating kids and at best we will get a “yeah, but the left does it too” because some loon showed up wearing fetish prosthetics on to work at a school.

Yeah they just violated those kids’ constitutional rights.

And some on this board are worried about indoctrination from a singular teacher.

This is an entire school forcibly indoctrinating kids and at best we will get a “yeah, but the left does it too” because some loon showed up wearing fetish prosthetics on to work at a school.

This was a voluntary event offered primarily to seniors. The problem is that it was misrepresented to the point of being a trap. Under the circumstances it might be First Amendment violation but I think it's vague enough (is the school allowing a voluntary event at a church youth organization an establishment clause violation? did the school leadership actually know of all of this or was it simply negligent in allowing the trap to happen?) that it's quite likely that it wouldn't be found that way by a court.

But that doesn't mean it isn't wrong and that there needs to be oversight exercised by responsible parties in the school district or state educational structure.

We need to ban CRT (Christian Radicalization Theory) from our schools.
    You know, we look at this as a joke and a play on Critical Race Theory but this is a real thing. When you have elected officials talking about the church running the government....in the United States, that is a problem. I think we should continue to discuss Christian Radicalization Theory in this thread. #ChristianRadicalizationTheory

How is that not religious indoctrination by a public school entity? Should be an easy first amendment case, but that remains to be seen with this SC. Still, I hope the parents file a class action lawsuit against the school board and superintendent.

Looks like they can't
    ================

…..Teachers, parents and students quickly flooded the post with furious comments.

One parent wrote, “I signed a permission slip for a College and Career Day. What I got was indoctrination and trauma.”…….

But, ominously, the bottom of the slips also read: “I agree to release and hold harmless 2911 Academy, any and all affiliated organizations, their employees, agents and representatives, including volunteer and other drivers from any and all claims arising from or relating to student’s participation.”…..

Looks like they can't
    ================

…..Teachers, parents and students quickly flooded the post with furious comments.

One parent wrote, “I signed a permission slip for a College and Career Day. What I got was indoctrination and trauma.”…….

But, ominously, the bottom of the slips also read: “I agree to release and hold harmless 2911 Academy, any and all affiliated organizations, their employees, agents and representatives, including volunteer and other drivers from any and all claims arising from or relating to student’s participation.”…..

The parents should sue anyway and test that clause. I don't think deception is covered by that clause. That clause may protect 2911 Academy from being sued, but it doesn't seem to protect the East Baton Rouge school district, unless there are other clauses in the permission slip saying so.

Also, parent's need to learn to challenge those clauses by crossing them out and not just agreeing and signing permission slips.

In my experience those clauses do not hold up under false pretenses.

They violated the contract first by misrepresenting what the parent was consenting to. Therefore, the contract was never executed under its own guidelines.

Again, in my experience with suing and being sued for contractual breach, just signing something doesn’t make you completely powerless. You have to prove intent to deceive but here that shouldn’t be too hard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom