All things Racist...USA edition (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    I was looking for a place to put this so we could discuss but didn't really find a place that worked so I created this thread so we can all place articles, experiences, videos and examples of racism in the USA.

This is one that happened this week. The lady even called and filed a complaint on the officer. This officer also chose to wear the body cam (apparently, LA doesn't require this yet). This exchange wasn't necessarily racist IMO until she started with the "mexican racist...you will never be white, like you want" garbage. That is when it turned racist IMO

All the murderer and other insults, I think are just a by product of CRT and ACAB rhetoric that is very common on the radical left and sadly is being brought to mainstream in this country.

Another point that I think is worth mentioning is she is a teacher and the sense of entitlement she feels is mind blowing.

https://news.yahoo.com/black-teacher-berates-latino-la-221235341.html

Yeah, I beleive this country is the best that has ever been created by man and it is not even close. What about you, what is the best society ever created by man?

I have to ask, by what standards? I don't think anyone can make an argument either way without them.

You hear about racist roads, racist plumbing, just posted about racist medical tests and now racist trees, and each time the far right reacts with predictable "how can a road be racist?!" outrage

But when you look a bit closer, there's always something there
    ========================================

How can trees be racist? That’s the question explored in a new documentary, “Racist Trees,” about a historically Black neighborhood called the Crossley tract in Palm Springs, Calif., whose residents suspected a dense row of tall tamarisk trees might have been planted decades ago to segregate them from the adjacent golf course.

While putting a close-up on the residents’ campaign to have the messy, view-blocking trees removed, the film deftly explores wider issues, like the troubled racial history of the idyllic resort town, gentrification and generational wealth – all with a light touch that includes plenty of colorful historic footage of swimming pools and movie stars.

The controversy over whether the trees should be removed might have remained a small local issue if it wasn’t for a 2017 article in the local paper, the Desert Sun. Reported by Corinne Kennedy, the piece drew worldwide attention, and the idea of “racist trees” riled up Tucker Carlson and other right-leaning media outlets, which fanned outrage over the idea that trees could be cut down as “punishment.”

The article also piqued the interest of documentary directors Sara Newens and Mina T. Son. “We just immediately thought there was not only a visual metaphor going on here, but this hidden part of the city that we had no idea about, and figured a lot of people outside, or even inside of Palm Springs, maybe didn’t know either,” says Newens.

Originally conceived as a shorter pilot for a possible docuseries, “Racist Trees” turned into a feature doc after Wayfarer Studios came on, with help from producers including Joanna Sokolowski and Courtney Parker. The feature docu, which is seeking distribution, recently premiered at the Palm Springs Film Festival and screens this week at Montana’s Big Sky Documentary Film Festival.

But despite the Fox News outrage, it wasn’t that the trees themselves were racist.

As the documentary explains, the possibility that the trees could have been planted with the intent of segregating the neighborhood from the golf course, plus the nuisance the tamarisks were continuing to create, raised issues of equity in the community. The Crossley tract in eastern Palm Springs was built by Lawrence Crossley, an early Black developer who wanted to provide higher quality dwellings for the city’s Black residents, who often could only find sub-standard housing.

The houses alongside a golf course in the small subdivision would usually be prime real estate, but at some point in the early 1960s, a large row of shaggy tamarisk trees was built to divide the houses from the golf course.

It’s a question lost to history whether the intent was to keep Black residents out of sight from golfers or merely to catch stray golf balls, but over the years the trees grew huge and started hogging water and dropping massive amounts of needles, creating a fire hazard and a playground for rats. And not only did they block the green fairways of the golf course, they grew so tall they blocked the view of the mountains beyond, one of the prime attractions of living in Palm Springs.

The houses in the Crossley Tract were worth less than the homes in surrounding neighborhoods, and being cut off by the foliage felt like another slight for the families that had already been affected by the city of Palm Springs brutally clearing the homes of Black and Latino residents in the Section 14 area downtown.

A simple row of trees might sound like a niche subject, but it gave the filmmakers plenty to unpack. Not only was Palm Springs a city known for liberal values and inclusiveness, but the person who spearheaded the campaign was a white real estate agent who had recently moved into the historically Black community.

“This white resident, and this Black community – there were very complex race issues here to explore,” says Son.

That also raised the question of who should best tell the story, which has become a crucial consideration for documentary filmmaking in recent years...........

“You can be a liberal town, but still uphold racist traditions. And I think that is one of the big points that we wanted to make with this film,” says Newens.

Ultimately, it became clear that not only was there no longer any justification to keep the trees, but it might be better for the city’s image to stop fighting the idea. Once the city had decided it could find the money to remove them, they came down fast, and the filmmakers raced to film the chainsaws clearing the tamarisks.

“We were definitely surprised it happened as quickly as it did. We were excited that the city was willing to take action,” Newens remembers..........

AA17LOPR.img

Last edited:
    I suspect most black people go to work, hang out with co-workers, and have no issues. This article is looking for victimhood in an area where there is none. There are much bigger fish to fry out there.
    I can’t speak for anyone else but I love it when non black people tell black people what they should and shouldn’t be offended by

I also suspect that many of the black people you think go to work, hang out with co-workers and have no issues…..have some issues.

Just know better than to bring the issues to work

Or, know better than to discuss the issues with people who will tell them to ‘quit whining, don’t you know how much better you have it than your grandparents?’

Again, as always, you think the issue isn’t with the people perpetuating all these micro aggressions, it’s with the people who are bothered by them

from article about the Buffalo shooter
    ======================
    .........For a variety of reasons rooted in white-on-Black chattel slavery, Jim and Jane Crow, and the ever present threat of white violence and terrorism, Black people in America learned, as a matter of survival, to wear a type of mask of obedience, civility, politeness, and compliance lest they be deemed "angry" or "difficult" or "impolite" or "uppity" and thus needing to be "put back in their place."

That dynamic still applies, albeit in different ways and modulations, in post-civil rights America – and most certainly in the Age of Trump and ascendant neofascism.

For example, Black people in America, especially if they work in majority white spaces as striving members of the middle and professional classes, are deemed to be "distant" and "cold" or "not friendly", "hostile", or the ubiquitous "not a team player" if they do not perform the expected role of being a warm welcoming laughing Black person who makes your white colleagues feel comfortable and validated.

A good many of us, me included, have too much self-respect, and therefore no interest, in being "the best black friend.".................

I used to really like Dilbert too, I never found it funny until I got an office job and saw how accurate it was

====================================================================

Scott Adams, the creator of the popular newspaper comic Dilbert, said “The best advice I can give to white people is get the hell away from Black people,” in a video message that’s being widely circulated online.

Adams’ comments came from a livestream posted to his YouTube channel, “Real Coffee with Scott Adams.” He was responding to a poll from Rasmussen Reports about whether “It’s OK to be white.”

The poll presented the following questions: “Do you agree or disagree with this statement: ‘It’s OK to be white,'” and “Do you agree or disagree with this statement: ‘Black people can be racist, too.'”

The part of the survey that Adams seems to be cherry picking from is that 53% of black people surveyed said it is indeed OK. He seemed to focus on the ones who didn’t, and called them a “hate group.” There’s a lot of mental jujitsu going on here. Adams is using a small, inaccurate polling company (more on that in a minute) to back up his clearly racist beliefs.

This would not be as notable if he weren’t the creator of one of the most beloved comic book strips of all time. These comments are… well, they’re not great.

“So if nearly half of all Blacks are not OK with white people, according to this poll, not according to me, that’s a hate group. That’s a hate group and I don’t want anything to do with them. And I would say, based on the current way things are going, the best advice I would give to white people is to get the hell away from Black people. Just get the f**k away.”

So there’s no other way to take that than what it is: Pretty damn racist. He continues: “Where ever you have to go just get away. ‘Cause there’s no fixing this. This can’t be fixed. You just have to escape.”

Where exactly are people like Adam’s supposed to escape to? He explains this as well. “So that’s what I did. I went to a neighborhood with a very low Black population.”..........

Not necessarily racist, but full-on anti-Semitism on national display tomorrow...

Musk has really shown us his racist apartheid colors lately. Dude can't help but support or find "some truth" in the racist ramblings of other white people. He's the white savior coming to save all the white people from the racist minorities and media.

============
    In response to a tweet about the controversy, Twitter owner Musk said Sunday that the “media is racist.” He didn’t criticize Adams’ comments, and Musk said without evidence that for a “very long time, US media was racist against non-white people, now they’re racist against whites & Asians.”

“Same thing happened with elite colleges & high schools in America,” Musk wrote. “Maybe they can try not being racist.”

Musk later agreed with a tweet saying Adams’ comments “weren’t good” but had an “element of truth” to them. He also accused the media of giving Black victims of police violence disproportionate coverage over White victims of police violence. Black people are more likely to die from police use of force than White people, according to multiple studies.
    ============

Musk is such an idiot. As is Adams. I never realized how many spoiled man-children there were in the world.

Musk has really shown us his racist apartheid colors lately. Dude can't help but support or find "some truth" in the racist ramblings of other white people. He's the white savior coming to save all the white people from the racist minorities and media.

============
    In response to a tweet about the controversy, Twitter owner Musk said Sunday that the “media is racist.” He didn’t criticize Adams’ comments, and Musk said without evidence that for a “very long time, US media was racist against non-white people, now they’re racist against whites & Asians.”

“Same thing happened with elite colleges & high schools in America,” Musk wrote. “Maybe they can try not being racist.”

Musk later agreed with a tweet saying Adams’ comments “weren’t good” but had an “element of truth” to them. He also accused the media of giving Black victims of police violence disproportionate coverage over White victims of police violence. Black people are more likely to die from police use of force than White people, according to multiple studies.
    ============

Scott Adam's deduction that blacks are a hate group is obviously provocative, and unsound reasoning; however we shouldn't let that unsound reasoning deflect from a discussion about the troubling statistic that 47% didn't agree with that statement. Only 79% of all people agreed with that statement. I would like for the opposite question to have been asked about whether it is okay to be black. I suspect that a large percentage of white people would also not agree. It wouldn't make either group a hate group, however it would indicate that a large portion of the population would sympathize and would probably join a hate group. It's really outrageous, and a troubling growing trend.

The provocative statement that white people shouldn't move in to predominantly black neighborhoods is probably a belief that most white people have, but don't say it out loud. I chose to live in a fairly mixed area that's representative of my city's demographics, but it is still majority white and well-to-do. I'll admit that I wouldn't have moved in to my area if it was a predominantly black neighborhood, even if it was well to do, but I believe that's also true of many black people. I suspect that most black people also would prefer to live in an area where they wouldn't be the minority, but they often don't have a good choice. Whether we want to admit it or not, we self segragate because we feel more comfortable among people that are more like us. I could've moved in to a nearly homogenously white area of town, but chose an area with diversity. However, I wouldn't have felt comfortable in a predominantly black area. I didn't really have that choice anyway, since there really aren't any nice black neighborhoods here that I think are also safe and upscale. That could be because most well-to-do black people seek to live in whiter neighborhoods, since those neighborhoods tend to be safer, and most people want to live in safer areas. So Scott's advice is just saying something out loud that most people of both races probably believe.

I think the coverage of Scott's statements are not covering the more important issue. We're too busy condemning Scott, rather than discussing the problem that he has highlighted, namely the sentiments expressed by the poll are appalling. We need much more analysis to understand how to remediate relations that suggest that it isn't okay to be any race, religion, gender, class, etc.

Scott Adam's deduction that blacks are a hate group is obviously provocative, and unsound reasoning; however we shouldn't let that unsound reasoning deflect from a discussion about the troubling statistic that 47% didn't agree with that statement. Only 79% of all people agreed with that statement. I would like for the opposite question to have been asked about whether it is okay to be black. I suspect that a large percentage of white people would also not agree. It wouldn't make either group a hate group, however it would indicate that a large portion of the population would sympathize and would probably join a hate group. It's really outrageous, and a troubling growing trend.

The provocative statement that white people shouldn't move in to predominantly black neighborhoods is probably a belief that most white people have, but don't say it out loud. I chose to live in a fairly mixed area that's representative of my city's demographics, but it is still majority white and well-to-do. I'll admit that I wouldn't have moved in to my area if it was a predominantly black neighborhood, even if it was well to do, but I believe that's also true of many black people. I suspect that most black people also would prefer to live in an area where they wouldn't be the minority, but they often don't have a good choice. Whether we want to admit it or not, we self segragate because we feel more comfortable among people that are more like us. I could've moved in to a nearly homogenously white area of town, but chose an area with diversity. However, I wouldn't have felt comfortable in a predominantly black area. I didn't really have that choice anyway, since there really aren't any nice black neighborhoods here that I think are also safe and upscale. That could be because most well-to-do black people seek to live in whiter neighborhoods, since those neighborhoods tend to be safer, and most people want to live in safer areas. So Scott's advice is just saying something out loud that most people of both races probably believe.

I think the coverage of Scott's statements are not covering the more important issue. We're too busy condemning Scott, rather than discussing the problem that he has highlighted, namely the sentiments expressed by the poll are appalling. We need much more analysis to understand how to remediate relations that suggest that it isn't okay to be any race, religion, gender, class, etc.
    A few years back, I lived for three years in a majority-minority, lower-middle-class neighborhood as a white person. My neighbor on one side was black, across the street was hispanic, and my neighbor on the left was white (though they were one of the few other white families in our neighborhood).

We moved there for a few reasons - the house was inexpensive, the location was very close to my work and to the interstate, and the house was newly renovated. We didn't expect to live there long (the house was very small and would not suffice when our daughter got to be just a few years older), but while we were there, we absolutely loved it.

Our daughter became best friends with the neighbor's granddaughter, who was black, and there was a great sense of community in the area. Our neighbors would frequently just come by and mow our grass for free because it was a small yard (and we'd buy them a 6-pack in return), help work on each others' cars, and our kids would play in the quiet street and in each others' back yards, just like when I was a kid.

We eventually moved away from the area when it was financially a smart move to do so, and to be fair, the area we moved into is pretty white, but that wasn't the reason so much as the perfect house we found happened to be in a "white" area. We would have been completely fine buying in a more diverse area if it met our needs.

My point is, you don't have to self-segregate, and it can be a great experience living in a diverse area.

The provocative statement that white people shouldn't move into predominantly black neighborhoods is probably a belief that most white people have, but don't say it out loud.
    Being a realist, I can understand why white people wouldn't move into a predominantly black neighborhood. What I'm failing to understand is why white people shouldn't move into predominantly black neighborhoods. Care to expound on that?
    I'll admit that I wouldn't have moved into my area if it was a predominantly black neighborhood, even if it was well to do,
    I guess this is the difference in how some black folks think compared to how some white folks think. As a relatively successful black person, when I built my house, my goal was to get the best house for the best price in the best area. I didn't consider the race of my potential neighbors. Now granted, as a 8 year old, my family was one of a few black families in a predominantly white neighborhood where bricks were readily thrown through our windows, "N-word" spray painted on my dad's car and me and my brothers were chased home by white guys in the back of trucks. That experience could have discouraged me from building in a predominantly white neighborhood because my previous experience told me that a predominantly white neighborhood was definitely not a safe place for me to live. However, the area was nice and had everything I was looking for so that's where I built my house, which moves me to my next comment....
    but I believe that's also true of many black people.
    ...I believe that you are wrong. In fact, I know you are wrong. Both of my older brothers live in a predominantly black gated golf course community. The only reason I didn't move there was because I couldn't afford to build there. It might seem anecdotal but I know enough successful black people to form a conclusion this is more than anecdotal.
    I suspect that most black people also would prefer to live in an area where they wouldn't be the minority, but they often don't have a good choice.
    I can't speak for all black folks but I really don't care if we are the minority or the majority. I only care about people taking care of their property, not being shirtty neighbors and/or not being criminals. Black folks, more often times than not, don't have good choices because history has shown us that when black folks established a system that fostered successful black families, their businesses and neighborhoods were destroyed by white people for various reasons including fear.
    Whether we want to admit it or not, we self segragate because we feel more comfortable among people that are more like us.
    I disagree. I think that is something practiced for more by white people than any other group.
    However, I wouldn't have felt comfortable in a predominantly black area
    Every person is different and I guess you have your reasons for why you wouldn't feel comfortable in a predominantly black area. I would feel perfectly fine in a predominantly white neighborhood because I know that my neighbors are no better than me and the only possible difference is that they might think they are better than me because my skin tone is different.
    I didn't really have that choice anyway, since there really aren't any nice black neighborhoods here that I think are also safe and upscale.
    I think I covered this one. It seems to me that your choices were potentially artificially limited by your fear or preference to not live around black people or minorities.
    That could be because most well-to-do black people seek to live in whiter neighborhoods, since those neighborhoods tend to be safer, and most people want to live in safer areas.
    I know this is just your opinion but I believe that your opinion is simply based on bad info or just wrong. "Well-to-do black people" don't seek to live in whiter neighborhoods. They seek to live in more upscale neighborhoods which tend to be predominantly white for reasons.
    Scott should be condemned for his statements. They stink of his own personal feelings and opinions. I haven't looked at the poll enough to say one way or the other if I think it's valid. I think it's stupid for anyone to think that it isn't "Okay" to be something that you have absolutely no control over. However, seeing as most of the atrocities that black people have suffered have come at the hands of white people, I can understand why some black people would answer the poll the way they did. I still think it's stupid but having experienced my own suffering at the hands of white people, I certainly understand.

Being a realist, I can understand why white people wouldn't move into a predominantly black neighborhood. What I'm failing to understand is why white people shouldn't move into predominantly black neighborhoods. Care to expound on that?
    If 47% of black people don't think it is okay to be white, then moving into a black neighborhood puts white people at risk. Also, when white people move into black neighborhoods, they are sometimes not welcomed since it is perceived as the start of gentrification.

I guess this is the difference in how some black folks think compared to how some white folks think. As a relatively successful black person, when I built my house, my goal was to get the best house for the best price in the best area. I didn't consider the race of my potential neighbors. Now granted, as a 8 year old, my family was one of a few black families in a predominantly white neighborhood where bricks were readily thrown through our windows, "N-word" spray painted on my dad's car and me and my brothers were chased home by white guys in the back of trucks. That experience could have discouraged me from building in a predominantly white neighborhood because my previous experience told me that a predominantly white neighborhood was definitely not a safe place for me to live. However, the area was nice and had everything I was looking for so that's where I built my house, which moves me to my next comment....
    You gave lots of good reasons to avoid moving into a neighborhood in which you're the minority. If you want to or are willing to fight, then you will do it anyway, but most people just want peace in their lives, not confrontation to change society.
    ...I believe that you are wrong. In fact, I know you are wrong. Both of my older brothers live in a predominantly black gated golf course community. The only reason I didn't move there was because I couldn't afford to build there. It might seem anecdotal but I know enough successful black people to form a conclusion this is more than anecdotal.
    So you had a choice of a black neighborhood, but couldn't afford it. It is interesting that your brothers chose to live in a black neighborhood. I suspect that there were more wealthy white neighborhoods to choose from, but they felt more comfortable in the black gated neighborhood, which is making my point that people prefer to be among people that are more like them. I never said everyone, but most prefer that.
    I can't speak for all black folks but I really don't care if we are the minority or the majority. I only care about people taking care of their property, not being shirtty neighbors and/or not being criminals. Black folks, more often times than not, don't have good choices because history has shown us that when black folks established a system that fostered successful black families, their businesses and neighborhoods were destroyed by white people for various reasons including fear.
    Your brothers seemed to care, had a choice, and chose a predominantly black neighborhood. If 47% of white people don't think it is okay to be black, which was easily true from past history, then I would advise black people to move into black areas as well. I don't know if white people of today feel that way, but if so, then Scott's advise would apply to black people as well.
    I disagree. I think that is something practiced for more by white people than any other group.
    Your brothers practiced this. I think more would if they could afford it.
    Every person is different and I guess you have your reasons for why you wouldn't feel comfortable in a predominantly black area. I would feel perfectly fine in a predominantly white neighborhood because I know that my neighbors are no better than me and the only possible difference is that they might think they are better than me because my skin tone is different.
    This has nothing to do with who thinks they're better. It's interesting that you think your neighbors may think they are better than you due to your skin tone. Why would anyone want to live with people that think they are better than you? I avoid people like that. They make me uncomfortable and irritate me, even if I know their reasoning is flawed. Superiority complexes don't add to comfort. One may have to deal with that, but it isn't preferred. What adds to comfort is people that act more similarly to you. It's always good to be exposed to different lifestyles, but most people feel a little uncomfortable as the difference increases.
    I think I covered this one. It seems to me that your choices were potentially artificially limited by your fear or preference to not live around black people or minorities.
    I live in a community that is about 20% black, 10% other, and 70% white. I admit that I would feel a little fear if it was 70% black, because I know that a substantial portion of my neighbors would dislike me. Black people are typically the minority, so that doesn't stand out as unusual, and they have to learn to deal with that discomfort. Someday America will be minority white, and so future generations of white people will also have to be much more accustomed to that, but it is always a little uncomfortable for all races, religions, etc.
    I know this is just your opinion but I believe that your opinion is simply based on bad info or just wrong. "Well-to-do black people" don't seek to live in whiter neighborhoods. They seek to live in more upscale neighborhoods which tend to be predominantly white for reasons.
    I never said well-to-do black people seek to live in whiter neighborhoods. I said they usually end up in whiter neighborhoods because it is their only good and safe choice.
    Scott should be condemned for his statements. They stink of his own personal feelings and opinions. I haven't looked at the poll enough to say one way or the other if I think it's valid. I think it's stupid for anyone to think that it isn't "Okay" to be something that you have absolutely no control over. However, seeing as most of the atrocities that black people have suffered have come at the hands of white people, I can understand why some black people would answer the poll the way they did. I still think it's stupid but having experienced my own suffering at the hands of white people, I certainly understand.
    I do agree that it is stupid to think that it isn't okay to be something you have no control over, but then you seem to justify that belief. I live in today, not what happened in the 60s and before. Today black people commit most atrocities on their own communities. They may feel like it isn't okay to be white due to past grievances, but no matter their motive for saying it isn't okay to be white, it makes Scott's advice about segregating understandable, because most people don't want to move in to a place where automatically 50% of the people won't like you for something you can't control. You always run in to people that won't like you for xyz reasons, but if you start with 50% disliking you due to your race, you're just seeking out trouble.

The concept of self segregating is foreign to me so the comfort of living among "people that are more like us" is lost on me. Being that my parents moved from Puerto Rico to the New Orleans area when I was a year and a half, I never experienced that growing up. I grew up in a middle class mixed neighborhood on the West Bank and pretty much have always lived in similar areas. The whitest neighborhoods I lived in where in Baton Rouge after I graduated from LSU, but I didn't really feel any safer in those neighborhoods than in any of the other ones I lived in. Even living in San Antonio for the last 20 years, I've never been surrounded by people of my own culture, as Mexicans and Puerto Ricans are very different.

On the poll question, I thought it was a stupid and pointless question. As @Saintamaniac pointed out, the question didn't mean anything. You are whatever race that you are, it doesn't matter what anybody thinks is "okay". So I don't know what anybody answering that question really feels about anything.

Having said all that, I have always understood why some or even many black people are dubious of white people in this country. The history between the two races is horrible and filled with injustice and it's all entirely brought on by white people. Even today, you have a whole segment of the population and political party that denigrates black people, black culture and even education about black people at almost every turn. Scott Adams is now part of that sordid history. Why should black people suddenly trust and have affection for white people when there has never been a true effort by the majority of white people to not just atone for and reconcile the past or to build community and bonds between the races in the present? I am not saying that no progress has been made and that there haven't been sincere efforts at doing so, it just clearly hasn't been anywhere close to enough. And they're always met with such suspicion and push back by a lot of white people.

Outside of concern for crime, which can be found in just about any poor neighborhood (including white ones), the fear and dubiousness that white people have of black people has never seemed to be about the actions of black people against white people . The history just isn't there like it is in the opposite direction. The fear that white people have of black people has seemed to me to be more about black resistance and independence. Resistance by black people to a culture that has subjugated them and what that means as it concerns the status of white people.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom