All things political: Hurricane edition. (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SaulGoodmanEsq

Reaction score
    Have been monitoring the thread on SR.com as a useful aggregation of informational posts. Watching the calamity of Entergy's incompetence (yet again), I thought I'd start a thread hear to discuss the politics and policies with managing hurricanes in Southeast Louisiana and the Gulf South region.

Lots to say (vent) but, as a starting point, with the understanding that there are generators that feed off of the gas lines (which almost never seem to be damage during these events), I'm wondering why the State does not set these things up around essential businesses. True, a lot of these businesses have procured them on their own but I think it's an important enough infrastructure requirement that gas stations, grocery stores, etc. could be subsidized by the government at least to set up powerful gas generators that will keep these businesses open.

Feds definitely got on the ground quickly and the national guard is already out patrolling spots in the metro area (although there are still sporadic reports of looting). They're also setting up food distribution spots and whatnot. Obviously it's a different situation than Katrina since there's not still a ten feet of water in various parts of the city.

I saw some updates - it’s truly bizarre. He’s from Ohio, not Mississippi. He has a couple of criminal complaints out against him in Ohio. They don’t know where he is now.

As I sit here in the dark, listening to the generator hum - I'm not sure this is entirely on Entergy. That storm was...something.

I saw some updates - it’s truly bizarre. He’s from Ohio, not Mississippi. He has a couple of criminal complaints out against him in Ohio. They don’t know where he is now.

The man, Benjamin Eugene Dagley, of Wooster, Ohio, will be charged with two counts of simple assault, one count of disturbing the peace and one count of violating an emergency curfew, Gulfport police said in a statement.

He could also be in violation of his probation in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, if he traveled without authorization, police said.

Dagley had not been arrested by late Tuesday afternoon, and he could not be immediately reached at publicly listed telephone numbers.

As I sit here in the dark, listening to the generator hum - I'm not sure this is entirely on Entergy. That storm was...something.
    Certainly not all of it. But, imo, there are a number of updates to the more important infrastructure (like these transmission lines) that should have been implemented. It's funny with that one tower that fell (that's heavily rusted) you see a bunch of wooden polls in the same location that don't even look damaged or moved in the slightest.

4fc1a3a5-0099-429d-adb7-78dbff652c61_1920x1080.jpg

Shouldn't those wooden polls be snapped in half or at least somewhat displaced if indeed the tower was 'reinforced' and had its integrity checked within a year? I'm no metallurgist but I assume wood is a less sturdy substance.

On a somewhat related note, power has been restored to some sections of the East courtesy of the new power plant. The cynical part of me wonders if that was mostly for the purposes of: 1) allowing Entergy to say they are making progress; 2) justifying the presence/cost of the new plant (there was a huge political fight over it).

Shouldn't those wooden polls be snapped in half or at least somewhat displaced if indeed the tower was 'reinforced' and had its integrity checked within a year?

They’ve been feeding them little blue pills

I sure hope you guys all get your power back soon. I feel terrible for all the people who were/are in harms way.
    I’m settling in. Have a small generator on loan from a friend since Monday, sat in line for 2 hours for gas Tuesday to fill my car and the gas can. Today was the Costco line for more gas, got an extra can and a window unit from a friend. So, I’m settling in. Only missing ice right now, but I screwed up and didn’t protect my fridge, so there’s only booze and non-dairy creamer in the ice chest now, and they’ll get through the night. The worst part is seeing my doggies have to sprawl out to stay warm.

Dude, that is like a block from where I grew up....WTF....

The deputy did what he had to do. Not shedding a tear for the racist idiot. That said, I do wonder if she was having a mental breakdown, which, considering the hurricane and all, could be possible.
    Follow-up stories indicate the woman did indeed have mental health issues having been committed around twenty times in the past.

They’ve been feeding them little blue pills

I’m settling in. Have a small generator on loan from a friend since Monday, sat in line for 2 hours for gas Tuesday to fill my car and the gas can. Today was the Costco line for more gas, got an extra can and a window unit from a friend. So, I’m settling in. Only missing ice right now, but I screwed up and didn’t protect my fridge, so there’s only booze and non-dairy creamer in the ice chest now, and they’ll get through the night. The worst part is seeing my doggies have to sprawl out to stay warm.
    Hope all is going well. If you want ice I am gonna tell you where to go it is in the marigny. 2240 Decatur st is an ice house. Get there early like 8 yesterday got 160 pounds no problem. They are 40 lbs for 6 bucks bring Cash.

The gas end is getting easier st Bernard has a bunch of thing back up and running. They have seven stations up. Sheriff's office handles the line. Goes quick no drama or cutting. Went to the Paris Rd racetrack and was out in a half hour.

Any other things you need just holler and be safe

I personally think the response is not that bad. They are working their buts off. Heck it takes time.

Here is the order hospital, retirement homes, and then street lights then the public. If you have street lights like I got the other night they are getting close.

This crap is stressful enough don't get all worked up

Biden touring today. The cadre of politicos are with him including Sen. Kennedy who voted against certification. Guess he acknowledges Biden won now.

Just updating - I borrowed a window unit Wednesday, but the little generator couldn't push it very well. Still was able to cool the bedroom down before bed. Thursday me and my friend found out there were generators at Lowe's in Gonzales, so we each picked one up. I got a dual fuel 7500 running watts on gas, 6750 on propane. Did the gas thing again, Costco is getting really efficient with it.
    Moved everything into my bedroom to cut down on how much space I had to cool.
    Went ahead and ran the window unit all night - me and the dogs deserved a good night. They got so comfy they didn't even want to go potty before bed.
    That window unit was a 10,000 BTU and is way too much for my bedroom, so I picked a baby one up this morning.
    About to go refill gas at Costco, and hope what I have saves me from having to go again (at least for a couple days, been having to make these daily long trips and leaving the dogs at home)

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom