All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

A Montana Republican is pushing a bill to bar those who have received a COVID-19 vaccine or suffer from "long COVID" from donating blood—a proposal some critics say could effectively eradicate the state's supply of blood.

Formally introduced in the Montana State Legislature on February 17, House Bill 645 proposes a misdemeanor offense for anyone who knowingly donates whole blood, plasma, blood products, blood derivatives, human tissue, organs, or bones containing "gene-altering proteins, nanoparticles, high-count spike proteins from long covid-19, or other isolates introduced by mRNA or DNA vaccines, mRNA or DNA chemotherapies, or other novel mRNA or DNA pharmaceutical biotechnologies."

The legislation, which has yet to receive a committee vote, comes over what the bill's sponsor, Representative Greg Kmetz, described as fears from his constituents of ensuring a "safe" blood supply—even as experts assert that it is safe to donate blood after receiving a COVID vaccine or being diagnosed with COVID.

"Many of my constituents question just because we hear these two words, 'safe and effective,' a million plus times, does that make them true?" Kmetz asked colleagues in a hearing on the bill last week. "[...] These are the people that are concerned about our blood supply. These are the people that put me in this office. These are the people that I represent."

Kmetz has been backed by fellow Republicans, Rep. Jodee Etchart, who is the bill's requester, and Rep. Lola Sheldon-Galloway.

Many of the concerns pushed by the bill's proponents often cited uncredible or even biased information to support them.

Some who testified in favor of the bill claimed, without evidence, that friends and family died prematurely as a result of receiving the vaccine. There is currently no proof linking the COVID vaccine to premature death.

Another woman cited a Facebook post pushing claims that COVID-19 vaccines turned the blood of embalmed corpses into fibrous clots, a finding medical fact checkers have already debunked as the result of a heavily flawed study.

Others cited concerns over a spike in myocarditis cases among teens who received some types of vaccine, which U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data found to be rare.

Meanwhile, opponents of the bill, which included multiple medical professionals, said its language was overly broad and would, in effect, decimate Montana's blood and organ donor supply.

According to data from the CDC, approximately two-thirds of Montanans have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, while just 3 percent of eligible donors nationwide donate blood. Cliff Numark, the Senior Vice President of Donor Services for blood supplier nonprofit Vitalant, said the bill would cause "devastating harm" to the state's healthcare system, and potentially reduce the state's overall blood supply by as much as 80 percent.

Numark said there is no test available to verify whether the vaccine was in someone's bloodstream, making the bill impossible to comply with if passed into law............

Megyn Kelly joked Tuesday about NBC’s swift response to host Savannah Guthrie testing positive for Covid-19 in the middle of the Today Show.

On Sirius XM’s The Megyn Kelly Show, Kelly spoke with the hosts of the Ruthless Podcast, Comfortably Smug, Josh Holmes, Michael Duncan, and John Ashbrook.

Guthrie hosted just 20 minutes of Tuesday’s broadcast before she disappeared from the set. Later in the show, her co-hosts announced she had tested positive for Covid and gone home.

Kelly — who previously hosted her own iteration of the Today Show before leaving NBC — pointed out that Al Roker slowly distanced himself from other co-hosts as they explained that Guthrie had tested positive for Covid.

Notably, Roker was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2020 and was recently hospitalized for several weeks due to blood clots in his lungs.

“Do you believe they’re like canceling her, she’s running home from the set! Covid! I mean, at this point, seriously?” Kelly said.

“They’re getting pretty low on the desk chart. I mean, we’re gonna come back from commercial break and Matt Lauer’s gonna be back,” Holmes joked.

“Like, is anyone still even testing for Covid?” Kelly asked.

“I love that Al Roker is disappearing like the Homer Simpson meme into the hedge,” Duncan said.

As the conversation continued, Kelly argued that many people on the left are still gripped by fear of Covid.

“I mean, it’s amazing to me. These guys are leftists and it’s amazing to me to see how the leftists still live. Like under the grip of Covid, terrified,” Kelly said.

“She’s gotta leave the set immediately. Even to say like, I’m gonna take the Covid test. I don’t test for Covid anymore. Who’s testing for Covid still?” Kelly said.

“By the way, this is reportedly Savannah’s third bout of Covid, and I guarantee you she’s had all the vaccines and the boosters, because you won’t be able to go into 30 Rock without them,” Kelly said..............

A Montana Republican is pushing a bill to bar those who have received a COVID-19 vaccine or suffer from "long COVID" from donating blood—a proposal some critics say could effectively eradicate the state's supply of blood.

Formally introduced in the Montana State Legislature on February 17, House Bill 645 proposes a misdemeanor offense for anyone who knowingly donates whole blood, plasma, blood products, blood derivatives, human tissue, organs, or bones containing "gene-altering proteins, nanoparticles, high-count spike proteins from long covid-19, or other isolates introduced by mRNA or DNA vaccines, mRNA or DNA chemotherapies, or other novel mRNA or DNA pharmaceutical biotechnologies."

The legislation, which has yet to receive a committee vote, comes over what the bill's sponsor, Representative Greg Kmetz, described as fears from his constituents of ensuring a "safe" blood supply—even as experts assert that it is safe to donate blood after receiving a COVID vaccine or being diagnosed with COVID.

"Many of my constituents question just because we hear these two words, 'safe and effective,' a million plus times, does that make them true?" Kmetz asked colleagues in a hearing on the bill last week. "[...] These are the people that are concerned about our blood supply. These are the people that put me in this office. These are the people that I represent."

Kmetz has been backed by fellow Republicans, Rep. Jodee Etchart, who is the bill's requester, and Rep. Lola Sheldon-Galloway.

Many of the concerns pushed by the bill's proponents often cited uncredible or even biased information to support them.

Some who testified in favor of the bill claimed, without evidence, that friends and family died prematurely as a result of receiving the vaccine. There is currently no proof linking the COVID vaccine to premature death.

Another woman cited a Facebook post pushing claims that COVID-19 vaccines turned the blood of embalmed corpses into fibrous clots, a finding medical fact checkers have already debunked as the result of a heavily flawed study.

Others cited concerns over a spike in myocarditis cases among teens who received some types of vaccine, which U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data found to be rare.

Meanwhile, opponents of the bill, which included multiple medical professionals, said its language was overly broad and would, in effect, decimate Montana's blood and organ donor supply.

According to data from the CDC, approximately two-thirds of Montanans have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, while just 3 percent of eligible donors nationwide donate blood. Cliff Numark, the Senior Vice President of Donor Services for blood supplier nonprofit Vitalant, said the bill would cause "devastating harm" to the state's healthcare system, and potentially reduce the state's overall blood supply by as much as 80 percent.

Numark said there is no test available to verify whether the vaccine was in someone's bloodstream, making the bill impossible to comply with if passed into law............

whats the phrase? Stupid is as stupid does?

It stops the worst results.
    Natural immunity is not widespread and is not the same as herd immunity.
    Possibly true. Why did Trump pull the CDC team from Wuhan?
    The next time your spouse has surgery tell the surgeon not to wear a mask. The mask prevents or slows YOU from spreading disease.
    Provide link.
    Untrue. Provide link.
    Untrue. Provide link.

Finally, untrue. You simply don’t like being called out on it.

Moved the reply to this thread since it's about Covid.

New mask study

Conflicts of interest and funding can call into question some of these scientists/virologists that some here think are above reproach.

Nate’s take here is inherently flawed. He, and a lot of other people as well, assume that because scientists weren’t keen on discussing conspiracy theories that they were not also investigating the origin of the virus.

Scientists do not generally traffic in conspiracy theories, and especially those as unhinged as the “China did it on purpose” folks and they were very loud and very unhinged. Why should scientists be ashamed for not engaging with speculation that was reckless? Why should scientists be ashamed for saying it was better to wait for the studies to see what they could find?

The lab leak theory has been vigorously investigated, from a scientific standpoint, with genetic studies of the virus. Genetic studies do not support a virus that has been manipulated by humans. Virologists are satisfied, and they are the experts.

Whatever the DOE used to change their opinion wasn’t science. It was “intelligence” and classified as low confidence intelligence at that. So basically what people who want to take this to the bank for the origin of the virus are saying is that they believe the equivalent of the Steele Dossier.

The studies have been published now, these things take time, nothing is being hidden. Nate just should not be humored with this conspiratorial take here.
    The intelligence agencies that think it was of natural origin also have low confidence. The FBI has a moderate confidence that was a lab leak.

I'm surprised you used the Steele Dossier in your analogy. Who is the Rachel Maddow in regards to your analogy?

well, this proves that the left can actually disagree with others of their own,. But we all know that is not allowed on the Right. I think you actually lose your card if you do...
    Not quite. If anyone goes against the left on a narrative they immediately try to discredit them. That happened just recently in this thread. Also:

Conflicts of interest and funding can call into question some of these scientists/virologists that some here think are above reproach.

His responses reek of confirmation bias. It's apparent he decided long ago what he thought happened and has continued to push those beliefs as facts of the lab leak. He didn't really add anything new to the discussion.

Moved the reply to this thread since it's about Covid.

New mask study

Re: overcounting deaths

Nope, didn’t happen.

The intelligence agencies that think it was of natural origin also have low confidence. The FBI has a moderate confidence that was a lab leak.

I'm surprised you used the Steele Dossier in your analogy. Who is the Rachel Maddow in regards to your analogy?
    You are, SFL, it’s all you, lol

All of this is your usual circumstantial conspiracy theory nonsense. Scientists check each others’ work all the time.

You are spamming the board with discredited sources. The Cochrane study has been completely discredited.

I should be shocked that someone who works in healthcare actually thinks masks are useless. Do you decline to wear them on your job?

SFL - can you even comprehend that information sometimes changes during a pandemic caused by a novel virus? Or that viruses can mutate, thus changing the effects of vaccines based on earlier versions of the virus?

Can you recognize the difference between herd immunity and personal immunity? Bonus if you can understand that herd immunity brought about by vaccination is preferable to herd immunity where everyone gets a deadly virus.

Anyone who calls people “vaccine extremists” is showing you that they are an extremist themselves.

All of this is really elementary stuff and you are spreading doubt about masking, hand washing and vaccines. People who believe this shirt can be harmed or even die. Just stop it. You of all people should know better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom