All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

• Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida signed an executive order Monday suspending all COVID-19 restrictions.
    • The order supersedes local authorities' pandemic rules.

"We don't know what's going to happen in the future," DeSantis said at a briefing announcing the move. "But I think this creates a structure that's going to be a little bit more respectful, I think, of people's businesses, jobs, schools, and personal freedom."

DeSantis also signed a bill banning vaccine passports.

The Florida governor signed two executive orders that lifted the restrictions and another that prohibited local officials from passing any new COVID-19 ordinances

I notice he didn’t say it would be respectful of people’s health or lives. Especially if you are poor, just get to work.

Article may be too political for EE (if it isn’t if a mid could let me know and I’ll post it there)

Interesting read

Basically conservatives didn’t take COVID and precautions seriously. Now liberals are taking it too seriously

both sides involve not listening to the scientists
    ========================

Lurking among the jubilant americans venturing back out to bars and planning their summer-wedding travel is a different group: liberals who aren’t quite ready to let go of pandemic restrictions.

For this subset, diligence against COVID-19 remains an expression of political identity—even when that means overestimating the disease’s risks or setting limits far more strict than what public-health guidelines permit.

In surveys, Democrats express more worry about the pandemic than Republicans do. People who describe themselves as “very liberal” are distinctly anxious.

This spring, after the vaccine rollout had started, a third of very liberal people were “very concerned” about becoming seriously ill from COVID-19, compared with a quarter of both liberals and moderates, according to a study conducted by the University of North Carolina political scientist Marc Hetherington.

And 43 percent of very liberal respondents believed that getting the coronavirus would have a “very bad” effect on their life, compared with a third of liberals and moderates.

Last year, when the pandemic was raging and scientists and public-health officials were still trying to understand how the virus spread, extreme care was warranted.

People all over the country made enormous sacrifices—rescheduling weddings, missing funerals, canceling graduations, avoiding the family members they love—to protect others.

Some conservatives refused to wear masks or stay home, because of skepticism about the severity of the disease or a refusal to give up their freedoms.

But this is a different story, about progressives who stressed the scientific evidence, and then veered away from it.

For many progressives, extreme vigilance was in part about opposing Donald Trump. Some of this reaction was born of deeply felt frustrationwith how he handled the pandemic.

It could also be knee-jerk. “If he said, ‘Keep schools open,’ then, well, we’re going to do everything in our power to keep schools closed,” Monica Gandhi, a professor of medicine at UC San Francisco, told me.

Gandhi describes herself as “left of left,” but has alienated some of her ideological peers because she has advocated for policies such as reopening schools and establishing a clear timeline for the end of mask mandates. “We went the other way, in an extreme way, against Trump’s politicization,” Gandhi said.

Geography and personality may have also contributed to progressives’ caution: Some of the most liberal parts of the country are places where the pandemic hit especially hard, and Hetherington found that the very liberal participants in his survey tended to be the most neurotic...........

Basically conservatives didn’t take COVID and precautions seriously. Now liberals are taking it too seriously

both sides involve not listening to the scientists

I think one led to the other in way. I know my friend who falls firmly in the anxious category is anxious because of the heavy conservative area we're in.

This is the kind of shirt that vaccination is up against.

This is the kind of shirt that vaccination is up against.

I really. Really. Do not want to click that haha

Scary times when people line up for highly experimental so called vaccines against basically the flu.

Scary times when people line up for highly experimental so called vaccines against basically the flu.
    Tell that to the 3.2 M + who has died and the even larger number who will live with health issues for the remainder of their life..

But what do you care. just another unfounded drive by statement by you - just to provoke a reaction and with no arguments or sources to backup your claim

These are are not normal vaccines.

Yes they are. If you want more traditional viral vector vaccines, both J&J and AstraZeneca provide that product for you. The mRNA vaccines are different method of achieving the same process - teaching the cells to have an immuno-response against the virus. The technology was invented in the 1960s.

I don’t see how anyone who considers themselves intelligent can continue, now, to say Covid is “basically the flu” - when everything we know about Covid is that it acts much differently than the flu, is severe and fatal to a far greater degree (by a significant factor), and is completely different as a matter of virology.

So anyone continuing to use that line is either not intelligent or totally trolling. Which is it for you?

Good. If Florida wants nonsense, let them have it. Too bad normal, sane people in Florida have to deal with all that.

I'm really glad to hear that. Anything that impacts that idiot governor negatively I'm all for....actions have consequences....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom