All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (8 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

another non-shocker. Edit: they are claiming a "miscalculation"

Hundreds of elderly people in Tennessee waiting for hours to receive a coronavirus vaccine on New Year's Eve were told to go home because of a shortage in supplies.

But once they left, health officials called up and administered the vaccine to their friends and close contacts, according to WRCB-TV, an NBC affiliate.

Staff at the Tennessee Riverpark vaccination center told their friends and relatives that there were still vaccines available, even after people over 75 years of age were turned away and told the opposite, WRCB-TV reported.

TBH here the doctors have been able to vacinate 6 or 7 people with each vial due to each vial containing more vacine than anticipated and thus being able to vacinate 20% more people than expected.

Look at how forking stupid this person is.

Ricketts is a dumb arse. His kids go to the school my wife teaches. Typically the school is very forward thinking and an innovator but with covid they are doing everything he says to the letter.
He only won the governor race because his dad bought it for him. (Owns TD Ameritrade or did). More intelligent version of Trump.

This could go into several threads right now but

By 3 p.m. Tuesday, hundreds of people were gathered in Freedom Plaza, listening to speakers who repeated falsehoods about the election, offered prayers and shared discount codes for MyPillow, a company owned by a Trump ally. Some donned flak jackets with walkie-talkies and camouflage fanny packs strapped around their waists.

D.C. police, U.S. Park Police and the Secret Service lingered nearby.
Those at the microphone praised the lack of masks in the mostly White crowds, saying the demonstrators were exercising their personal freedoms.
“I’m going to give everyone three action steps … turn to the person next to you and give them a hug,” one speaker exhorted the crowd. “Someone you don’t know … it’s a mass-spreader event! It’s a mass-spreader event!”

The city is averaging 233 new coronavirus cases daily, and hospitalizations are up 12 percent compared with last week. On Friday, the Washington region set a daily record for new coronavirus infections.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/01/05/dc-protest-trump-supporters-election/

Well - I fear that there may be a few less Trumpers in 2 or 3 weeks time. I just feel bad for everyone else they may infect along the way...

Ricketts is a dumb arse. His kids go to the school my wife teaches. Typically the school is very forward thinking and an innovator but with covid they are doing everything he says to the letter.
He only won the governor race because his dad bought it for him. (Owns TD Ameritrade or did). More intelligent version of Trump.
They own the Cubs too. They let Theo Epstein run the organization and he turned it around. Meanwhile, they were buying every speck of dust, rock, building and business in the Wrigleyville area. Other than public transportation, they get a piece of every dollar that passes through there.

Once they won the world series, they started starving the baseball organization of the funds that got them there. They openly admitted that they won't be reinvesting baseball profits into the organization. They started their own television station that nobody can watch, and got rid of their signature television voice Len Kasper. They've raised the price of everything to the point that it's prohibitively expensive to attend games and the team is losing again. I think that they have managed to kill the golden goose.

As noted on the EE board, Covid deaths topped 4,000 yesterday. Ossof and Warnock both won. Mitch McConnell is no longer Senate Majority leader. Trump proved to be the kiss of death for himself and his party and nobody's talking about it.

The problem with performing ever-more-outrageous stunts as Trump is attempting is that eventually you hit the wall and you can't top yourself.

Yep thats why we're in lockdown even though it the number of infected is dropping. The contact value for the original strain in DK is 1 - that is every infected person infects 1 other. The contact value of those found to be infected with the UK version is 1,5 so every day the fraction of infected who has been infected with the uk strain grows.

Our CDC expect it to be the dominating strain in 3-4 weeks where the infections may explode. So rather than act then - they act now and have closed schools, non-esential stores, and everything social - restaurants, bars etc.. Only essential workers are supposed to go to work - all others should preferably work from home.

This to ensure that as few as possible is infected once the UK strain takes over. At the same time they are vacinating as soon at the vacines hit the country. Nothing is held back but used right away.

Yep thats why we're in lockdown even though it the number of infected is dropping. The contact value for the original strain in DK is 1 - that is every infected person infects 1 other. The contact value of those found to be infected with the UK version is 1,5 so every day the fraction of infected who has been infected with the uk strain grows.

Our CDC expect it to be the dominating strain in 3-4 weeks where the infections may explode. So rather than act then - they act now and have closed schools, non-esential stores, and everything social - restaurants, bars etc.. Only essential workers are supposed to go to work - all others should preferably work from home.

This to ensure that as few as possible is infected once the UK strain takes over. At the same time they are vacinating as soon at the vacines hit the country. Nothing is held back but used right away.

I hope your preemptive measures work better than our “pretend it doesn’t exist” measures. That’s great y’all are trying to head it off though.

I hope your preemptive measures work better than our “pretend it doesn’t exist” measures. That’s great y’all are trying to head it off though.

While I get that our response has left a lot to be desired, I wouldn't say we're pretending it doesn't exist when millions of vaccines are being distributed as quickly as possible. As long as the vaccines remain effective, I think we'll be in better shape in the next 2-3 months. I'm gonna get the vaccine as soon as it's made available to me.

While I get that our response has left a lot to be desired, I wouldn't say we're pretending it doesn't exist when millions of vaccines are being distributed as quickly as possible. As long as the vaccines remain effective, I think we'll be in better shape in the next 2-3 months. I'm gonna get the vaccine as soon as it's made available to me.

I’m being a bit tongue in cheek regarding the handling by the Trump admin, and some people’s inability to accept that if there’s a chance wearing a mask could help another person, it’s worth doing. Those people are definitely pretending it doesn’t exist, which is making things worse, and they’ll be the first to kvetch about shutdowns and such.

But yes, the vaccine development definitely deserves props. I’m actually planning on trying to get a virtual session with my primary care this week to discuss it myself. I have some slight risk factors, but staying isolated is fairly easy for me since I 100% work from home. Time to weigh my risk vs waiting till even more at risk folks can go.

I’m being a bit tongue in cheek regarding the handling by the Trump admin, and some people’s inability to accept that if there’s a chance wearing a mask could help another person, it’s worth doing. Those people are definitely pretending it doesn’t exist, which is making things worse, and they’ll be the first to kvetch about shutdowns and such.

But yes, the vaccine development definitely deserves props. I’m actually planning on trying to get a virtual session with my primary care this week to discuss it myself. I have some slight risk factors, but staying isolated is fairly easy for me since I 100% work from home. Time to weigh my risk vs waiting till even more at risk folks can go.

Well said. :9:

I think the new, more easily transmissible strains of Covid have kinda put our orderly (more deliberate) roll out of vaccinations in the trash. I think that the US should not hold back second doses and should get everyone vaccinated that they can possibly get, as rapidly as possible. I agree that the national guard should assist and that huge vaccination sites should go up, doing shots 24/7. Drive through sites should work, if there is a parking lot where people can wait for 15 minutes with someone coming around and releasing them when their time is up. Maybe divert people who are at high risk for reactions to a different venue. Or give people in their cars a pager they can push if they start to have a reaction to summon help.

If a single dose of vaccine provides 60-80% efficacy, then get as many people as you can with one shot. Once the raging waves of infections slow down, go back and pick up the second shot. If we don’t get ahead of this new strain, we will see a lot more hospitals being overwhelmed. This should be like a sprint right now to get as many people vaccinated as possible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom