All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

We had over 200k cases yesterday. This has to be stopped. The only way to stop it is to test our entire population and then quarantine anyone that tests positive. I wonder if Biden's team can work with the governor's and companies that develop the tests to formulate a plan to do this? The Federal Government is AWOL and hamstrung due to Trump, so the states need to take action.

Phase III Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine initial trial results indicate it's up to 90% effective depending on dosing regimen, so that's promising.

Just need to wait while the results are finalised, approved, and the vaccine distributed, and we should be in a much better position going through next year. It'll still be rough for a lot of us until then though, given how badly our countries are managing the pandemic on a day-to-day basis.

I'll post it here too. Lower dose results allow a 25% boost in people that can get vaccinated with the same volume of vaccine.

Also only needs simple refrigeration, not freezers. Much easier to distribute.

Not sure if they have ramped up production like the others.

My guess is that nearly everyone in the Dakotas either has it or has gotten over it. (Or died from it)
It's not like we're talking about densely populated states here. There may be like 30% of the state's residents after COVID is done with them.

If it turns out that this guy tests positive for covid can they up the charges?

Why are some people such arses?

What ever happened with the people early on that were charged for coughing on produce or in people's faces?
===============================

A supporter of President Donald Trump was charged with misdemeanor assault on Sunday in Loudon County, Virginia, for allegedly breathing heavily on protesters outside Trump National Golf Club.

"Please help," Kathy Beynett wrote in Saturday a tweet that went viral, showing a video of a man — identified by the Loudon County Sheriff's Office as Raymond Deskins — coming toward her without a face covering as she said "get away from me" and "you don't have a mask." It is unclear what exactly happened before the video was recorded.

Deskins, 61, then inhales and exhales deeply and blows his breath toward the protesters. In the video he can be seen wearing an inflatable flotation device around his waist in the shape of Trump.

"He crossed street to assault 2 senior citizens," Beynett, 67, wrote in her tweet. "Want to identify n case contact tracing becomes necessary.think name Ray. Virginia res. Drives Cadillac. Occurred trump golf." She refers to Deskins in later tweets as "the Covid monster."................

trump float.jpg

My guess is that nearly everyone in the Dakotas either has it or has gotten over it. (Or died from it)
It's not like we're talking about densely populated states here. There may be like 30% of the state's residents after COVID is done with them.

ND has a population of 800,000.

ND has about 73k confirmed cases, total. Approx 846 deaths.

Most of the cases have been since August. And most of that number has just been this month.

So, really in the last 2-3 months, 10% of ND's population contracted COVID.

South Dakota is almost identical, except they have almost 100k more people living there. So, probably closer to 9-9.5% of their population caught it.

Compare them to Florida, who is about to start their third wave, has 21.5 Million people living there (ignoring millions of tourists), and has had a total of about 940k cases... That's about 4.4% of the population.

I'm not sure if mask mandates (not for the state, but for most of the major cities) has helped. And, at least at the beginning, our governor did a partial closure of the state.

ND has a population of 800,000.

ND has about 73k confirmed cases, total. Approx 846 deaths.

Most of the cases have been since August. And most of that number has just been this month.

So, really in the last 2-3 months, 10% of ND's population contracted COVID.

South Dakota is almost identical, except they have almost 100k more people living there. So, probably closer to 9-9.5% of their population caught it.

Compare them to Florida, who is about to start their third wave, has 21.5 Million people living there (ignoring millions of tourists), and has had a total of about 940k cases... That's about 4.4% of the population.

I'm not sure if mask mandates (not for the state, but for most of the major cities) has helped. And, at least at the beginning, our governor did a partial closure of the state.

That's confirmed cases.
The real count is at least four times that.

That's confirmed cases.
The real count is at least four times that.
I know that's confirmed cases. You know how I know that? I said that.

All of the other estimates about under counting aren't overly helpful, since they are anywhere from double to 4-5 times higher..

I know that's confirmed cases. You know how I know that? I said that.

All of the other estimates about under counting aren't overly helpful, since they are anywhere from double to 4-5 times higher..

Correct, and I didn't mean to give the impression you omitted the 'confirmed' part. I was just restating it since it's important to remember.

The most accurate model at predicting case growth has been using a 10% real-to-confirmed ratio. They're thinking of moving to 25% since testing has gone up.

I think that keeping the under reporting factor in mind is useful from a personal-safety as well as a public policy standpoint.

The 'Rona is way more prevalent than people think and if the reports of lingering side-effects are accurate, we'll be seeing a massive cohort enter the healthcare channels in coming years. All of whom have a preexisting condition.

Decisions made now will greatly impact how big that problem becomes later on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom