All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (10 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Couldn't read the article because it's behind a pay wall. Wasn't familiar with the Hong Kong flu, so I googled it and naturally I am now an expert on it.

Appears to have killed between 1 and 4 million worldwide (about 100,000 in the US). Was a variant of a flu from a 1957 pandemic. It's still in circulation now.

I think the immediate differences are, since the Hong Kong flu was a variant of an earlier flu people had some built in antibodies which were partially helpful. The 1968 flu killed 100,000 in the US which is something like 167,000 adjusted for today's population - I think we're on track for something like 200,000-300,000 deaths from COVID-19 with social mitigation steps, and much higher without. Now this is barring some sort of therapeutics which would improve survivability and lower hospitalizations - which can happen, we just don't have them yet.

We didn't shut down for H1N1 for the first or 2nd wave.
    Because H1N1 wasn't nearly as contagious nor as deadly as COVID is, AND H1N1 is something that was previously around (not a novel coronavirus) and vaccines were available already. If you would actually read the actual articles instead of Facebook memes you would know this already.

Really dude?

96,329 different families would tell you differently as of right now. Will have another 2k tomorrow.
    Ok. Dude. 92k nursing home deaths. I don't care how you spin it. It's not right. Don't lie. Covid, heart attack?, Covid death. It's proven BS. This virus is contagious without a doubt. But don't pretend that we are going to see epic proportions of death. People like you should stay home.

Car accidents?

“Ultimately… we suspect that we are actually more likely to be under-counting deaths than over-counting them… It may take up to a year or more to get final counts on COVID-19 deaths.”
    Yes - there is a chance car accidents have been included given that Washington is reporting as a Coronavirus death anyone who has tested positive - at any time - with the virus and who has died. I won't try to hide that spoiler for you, but its not really that much of a leap.

Ok. Dude. 92k nursing home deaths. I don't care how you spin it. It's not right. Don't lie. Covid, heart attack?, Covid death. It's proven BS. This virus is contagious without a doubt. But don't pretend that we are going to see epic proportions of death. People like you should stay home.

I don't understand your denial but you certainly are living in it.

Yes - there is a chance car accidents have been included given that Washington is reporting as a Coronavirus death anyone who has tested positive - at any time - with the virus and who has died. I won't try to hide that spoiler for you, but its not really that much of a leap.
    There is a *chance* you say.

Meanwhile, Surviving Saint posts it as fact -- with the implication that it happens all the time and that they don't (as the article states) go back and correct those that are initially labeled incorrectly.

Yet you find fault with *my* post. :scratch:

There is a *chance* you say.

Meanwhile, Surviving Saint posts it as fact -- with the implication that it happens all the time and that they don't (as the article states) go back and correct those that are initially labeled incorrectly.

Yet you find fault with *my* post. :scratch:
    I find fault with your post because you are flat-out wrong. At least two states - Washington and Colorado - have acknowledged the issue. If your problem was the "implication" of surviving State's post you should have made that point instead of stating that he was categorically wrong

Might I suggest reread the credible source thread again

This is great

That is the writer of said article. A riot I tell ya, class act! Man the Rick Scott was a complete dirt bag.

As said by a guy that was former spokesman for Gov. Rick Scott !

Nope don't believe it!
    Writing for a blog funded through Robert Mercer. Who’s chief editor moonlighted for one of his political operative organizations.

Might as well start citing BreitBart and The Conservative Treehouse to buff up arguments at that point.

Why do you keep sourcing articles that are simply fronts for Robert Mercer’s Political Operative foundations designed to spread disinformation and misinformation?

I find fault with your post because you are flat-out wrong. At least two states - Washington and Colorado - have acknowledged the issue. If your problem was the "implication" of surviving State's post you should have made that point instead of stating that he was categorically wrong
    Is there any evidence of car crash victims being labeled as dying from COVID, or are you assuming his statement isn’t actually wrong?

You know as well as I do the implication is in his statement, and his post is not a valid criticism of COVID death numbers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom