2024 GOP Presidential Race (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

Not gonna pull democracy's rug out from under us.
    Don't exaggerate.
    We have our three branches of government and our constitution. That's not gonna change.
    Hypothetically if DeSantis was the next President he would be constrained within the same framework as Biden. No Fidel Castro's are on the horizon.
    Steve, the problem is that the GOP has abandoned all pretenses at honesty, and they are openly anti-democratic. If we can’t win by honestly saying what we want, we will make up tall tales, we will change districts to give us the advantage, we will proactively make it it harder to vote, and we will manufacture false reasons (voter fraud) why we are making it harder to vote, to convince fool our base why this is needed.

When I lived in Minnesota for 18 years I absentee voted (mailed in my ballots) the entire time, zero issues and the ultimate in convenience. When we moved to Texas (for family reasons) my god, it was practically impossible to mail in ballots, you have to be physically out of your county on voting day to do it, and it has to have a non-local postage mark on it. The thing is people of both parties like the convenience. Besides that, 3 years ago my wife suffered from heat stroke standing in a long line, in the sun, for a long period of time. She ended up with a hospital visit that cost us $5k. :oops:

Last edited:
    Steve, the problem is that the GOP has abandoned all pretenses at honesty, and they are openly anti-democratic. If we can’t win by honestly saying what we want, we will make up tall tales, we will change districts to give us the advantage, we will proactively make it it harder to vote, and we will manufacture false reasons (voter fraud) why we are making it harder to vote, to convince fool our base why to this is needed.
    The shame of it is that there has always been a level of deception associated with politics. The difference is that once someone was caught in that deception, it meant the end of their career. Since Republicans made the decision that power was more important than ethics, reputation, hypocrisy and sense of shame, lying is now a prerequisite to support from the party. Full fledge support for Trump pretty much solidified the death of the Republican party most of us grew up with.

The shame of it is that there has always been a level of deception associated with politics. The difference is that once someone was caught in that deception, it meant the end of their career. Since Republicans made the decision that power was more important than ethics, reputation, hypocrisy and sense of shame, lying is now a prerequisite to support from the party. Full fledge support for Trump pretty much solidified the death of the Republican party most of us grew up with.
    Agreed! This is by no means your Father’s GOP. The GOP has been on a long slide downward since Slimy Newt, but totally broke bad with Trump. They threw out what was left of their rule book because… he was the only path they perceived to continuing to hold power and this was more important than integrity, moral standards, or country.

Some digression- many many moons ago, I started as a Republican, then switched to Independent, but I mostly continued to vote Republican until Bill Clinton, voted for him, and have mostly been voting mostly Democrat ever since.

Even as the spectacle of Clinton being drubbed for an affair in office, we have the Speaker of the House leading the charge, and banging his Secretary in the back seat of his car while his wife lay dying in the Hospital.

Some might say this is an excellent opportunity to bring up an equivalence argument, but I’d disagree. When it come to motivation, integrity, and fighting for the principles the Founding Fathers established, there is a clear cut difference between the motivations of the moderate-left as compared to the right. One of the primary differences, is when lying is perceived as just part of the game, just don’t get caught and the Right Wing, especially the elected MAGA crowd has cornered that end of the spectrum.

This is a great post and absolutely truth....I was an R (voted for Reagan and Bush SR) but was so disgusted with Bush SR's policies (the AIDS and 1000 points of light BS being some examples) I flipped to I then D....

The huge difference was I never thought Reagan or Bush SR were terrible human beings capable of wantonly destroying our democracy.....I feel almost the entire R party (with some exceptions) are on that path, and there are way too many morons that buy into their lies and deceit, I mean how can any reasonable/rational person still believe anything that FOX news says?

To me that says it all.....

TALLAHASSEE - The recently revived Florida State Guard would more than triple in size and add aviation and maritime equipment, with funding going from $10 million to more than $95 million, under Gov. Ron DeSantis' proposed budget.

DeSantis last year pushed to reactivate the volunteer state guard to assist the Florida National Guard during emergencies. The state guard was set up during World War II to replace Florida National Guard members who were deployed abroad. It went inactive in 1947 but remained in state law.

Chris Spencer, DeSantis' director of policy and budget, told members of the Senate Appropriations Committee on Tuesday that an expanded state guard is needed to help an overtaxed Florida National Guard.

"Our national guardsmen have a much longer, much more frequent schedule of activations because of our emergencies than other states that have more national guardsmen," Spencer said while giving a budget overview, "That's a big burden on the families of national guardsmen and it's a big burden on the national guardsmen themselves. It's a factor in the challenges that we're having in recruiting national guardsmen in Florida."

With approximately 12,000 Florida soldiers and airmen, Spencer added some members of the National Guard are deployed in non-emergencies, with about 400 working in state prisons.

Meanwhile, the DeSantis administration is proposing to increase the size of the state guard from 400 to 1,500 members. Spencer said the goal is to have the state guard fully operational by the July 1 start of the upcoming fiscal year.

Sen. Bobby Powell, a West Palm Beach Democrat who questioned Spencer on the state guard's proposed funding, said after the meeting he would like more information on the plans.

"I'm just interested to know, is there something we don't know about, as regular people, that we're missing, that we need to add from 400 to 1,500 (with the) state guard," Powell said. "There is a lot of conversation centered on what is happening in Washington, D.C. Is Florida, are we a part of the nation?"................

In RED states they will translate just fine.
    If DeSantis vs Biden...currently I think DeSantis would win.
    Imagine a head to head debate .
    Biden would look old and confused.
    DeSantis youthful and confident.
    Everyone makes Biden look old, even Trump. The confused part is what is up for debate. Biden typically stumbles, but comes off as genuine and well meaning. That’s the advantage he will have over DeSantis. DeSantis has the advantage of being handsome and generational change. However he is still associated with Trump and that will scare people. I hope it does because I think he has very un-democratic tendencies, and we’re still too vulnerable for that type of leader. We need to reset the country to a majority Western Democratic values. Once we’re back there, then we can have our debates to shift it in either direction, but the Republican Party needs to return to that fundamental foundation before its leadership can be trusted again. There are Republicans such as Sununu and Hogan and others that I believe are safe, but DeSantis doesn’t represent those types of Republicans.

but the Republican Party needs to return to that fundamental foundation before its leadership can be trusted again.
    There is NOTHING that the republican party can do to be trusted again. The republican brand will from this day forward always be associated with hypocrisy and dishonesty. History will forever remember Republicans and their supporters as traitors to the constitution.

I think part of the reason the RNC has basically been his birch for years is because he has threatened to form his own party at various times over the years.

I think part of the reason the RNC has basically been his birch for years is because he has threatened to form his own party at various times over the years.

His 2016 bid made the RNC understand its own irrelevance. He turned the base against the establishment and the RNC is the avatar of The Establishment.

His 2016 bid made the RNC understand its own irrelevance. He turned the base against the establishment and the RNC is the avatar of The Establishment.
    Much like the conservatives in Weimar Germany made common cause with the fascists they thought they could do-opt. It ended up being the other way around.

If Trump somehow loses the nomination, could you see him launching an independent bid just to say fork you to his detractors?
    This would be stellar for the country… With the ease that today’s GOP has fallen into cheat any way you can, tell any tall tale the base will swallow, describe down as up, even going as far as stripping the country of our democracy using oppressive voting policies (such as limiting early voting, reducing polling locations, restricting mail in votes, purging voter roles, and falsely claiming voter Fraud*), what really has to happen before anything really changes is that Republicans have to start losing elections.

* The only notable cases of isolated voter fraud as been Republicans committing fraud. :oops:

Until that happens, the **** show will continue unabated. Tump running as an independent could be wonderful for the Presidential election outcome, but until we see more States turn purple or blue, it’s go ing to be a long difficult road for the country.

DeSantis is seeking to undercut a 1964 U.S. Supreme Court decision that shielded news outlets from libel judgments unless proven that they were published with “actual malice” - knowing that something was false or acting with “reckless disregard” to whether it was true. Florida legislation carrying out DeSantis' plan would make it unnecessary to prove “actual malice”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom