2024 GOP Presidential Race (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

The best possible outcome for the Republicans would be Trump either in prison or deciding not to run so he can deal with his legal troubles, and then DeSantis running and defending Trump while on the campaign trail.

I think Trump would do so much damage to DeSantis in a head to head primary that whoever the Democratic nominee is would win comfortably.

I think DeSantis will take him. He's too popular and difficult for Trump to successfully attack.

I think DeSantis will take him. He's too popular and difficult for Trump to successfully attack.

its not about "Success" as you or i think. And dont think for a second that Trump isnt willing to do eehhh -naaay- thanng in an attempt to secure his legacy.

If Trump does announce his candidacy, his attacks on DeSantis will start by Thanksgiving. Republicans have a real headache on their hands.

and this did it to themselves.

I think DeSantis will be the beneficiary of a general growing will to move on from Trump - it won't so much be his own personal triumph. Trump has been a losing proposition for some time now, it's obvious.

The question will be how much damage will be done during the breakup. The breakup has to happen and Trump isn't going to respond well to it.

If the battle plays out in the media, Trump will mop the floor with him. The media LOVES Trump. Loves him like he's money. Because he is. Trump will say anything, anything at all at any time and his capacity for pettiness is unlimited. He's clicks on the hoof and the media can't help but breathlessly report on every gaseous emission he has.
    If, however, the fight goes dark and dirty, Gov DeSantis can make Citizen Trump miserable. DeSantis has shown he's also a small, petty little d-bag so while he hasn't Trump's gift of gab, he's got actual power to wield. If DeSantis can punk Trump just a couple-three times via zoning, or an immigration sting or some other sneaky ambush, he can deflate Trump's image of strength. That'd be absolutely fatal for Don.

Yeah, agree with Taurus. Both men would not hesitate to get down in the mud. And both could do considerable damage to the other. So…..let’s get ready to ruuuummmbbbllleee!!!! Lol.

Earlier this year, I wrote a profile of Ron DeSantis, a figure who seemed to point the way toward the party’s post-Trump future. That future, it seemed to me, could arrive much sooner than many people forecast at the time.

“If you completely dismiss the possibility that DeSantis could pry the Republican base away from a president to whom it has formed a cultlike attachment,” I argued, “you may not be considering the potential effect of two more years of DeSantis being given the sort of coverage in the right-wing media that Pravda devoted to Joseph Stalin.”

That dynamic has been in effect at gale force since last night. The midterm election could not have set up a more favorable dynamic for the Florida governor. His state, which reported its vote early, delivered a huge victory for Republicans. And then the party proceeded to underperform almost everywhere else, leaving Florida as an outlier.

The Republican-aligned media, which has spent the past year trumpeting DeSantis as the party’s future, has devoted itself to this message almost exclusively since last night. Here is a typical example of the conservative media’s coverage of the elections:

The sentiment that Trump lost and DeSantis won is reflected across the spectrum of conservative media, encompassing those who disdain Trump as a liability but support him anyway and those who embrace him enthusiastically.

The anti-anti-Trump National Review has headlines like “Tonight’s Emerging Narrative: DeSantis vs. the Rest of the Nation” and “Casey DeSantis Is the Greatest Political Mind in Modern History.” But even a Trumpist organ like American Greatness is running headlines such as “DeSantis Is the Night’s Big Winner.”

DeSantis has consolidated the support of the conservative movement by courting its most right-wing elements. He wooed insurrectionists, QAnon enthusiasts, and anti-vaxxers, the last of which is a constituency that has allowed him to run to the right of Trump, who is saddled with the liability of having created Operation Warp Speed.

At the National Conservatism Conference, the party’s semi-fascist wing believed the American version of Viktor Orbán was not Trump but DeSantis.............

Trump’s greatest advantage over DeSantis, and the one issue on which DeSantis has let Trump outflank him on the right, is the 2020 election. Trump fervently insists he won, while DeSantis (like most Republican officials) refuses to say anything. DeSantis, who appears almost exclusively in party-aligned media, has managed to avoid the topic. In a contested primary, Trump will make it hard for him to dodge the issue and will use it to paint DeSantis as a dissembler.

But I believe DeSantis will have a response. He can call Trump a loser, and if Trump insists the election was stolen, DeSantis will berate him for letting the election get stolen. DeSantis won’t denounce the coup attempt; he will denounce Trump for its lack of success. The promise he will make to the base will be to fight stronger and meaner than Trump and do whatever it takes to win power.............

Earlier this year, I wrote a profile of Ron DeSantis, a figure who seemed to point the way toward the party’s post-Trump future. That future, it seemed to me, could arrive much sooner than many people forecast at the time.

“If you completely dismiss the possibility that DeSantis could pry the Republican base away from a president to whom it has formed a cultlike attachment,” I argued, “you may not be considering the potential effect of two more years of DeSantis being given the sort of coverage in the right-wing media that Pravda devoted to Joseph Stalin.”

That dynamic has been in effect at gale force since last night. The midterm election could not have set up a more favorable dynamic for the Florida governor. His state, which reported its vote early, delivered a huge victory for Republicans. And then the party proceeded to underperform almost everywhere else, leaving Florida as an outlier.

The Republican-aligned media, which has spent the past year trumpeting DeSantis as the party’s future, has devoted itself to this message almost exclusively since last night. Here is a typical example of the conservative media’s coverage of the elections:

The sentiment that Trump lost and DeSantis won is reflected across the spectrum of conservative media, encompassing those who disdain Trump as a liability but support him anyway and those who embrace him enthusiastically.

The anti-anti-Trump National Review has headlines like “Tonight’s Emerging Narrative: DeSantis vs. the Rest of the Nation” and “Casey DeSantis Is the Greatest Political Mind in Modern History.” But even a Trumpist organ like American Greatness is running headlines such as “DeSantis Is the Night’s Big Winner.”

DeSantis has consolidated the support of the conservative movement by courting its most right-wing elements. He wooed insurrectionists, QAnon enthusiasts, and anti-vaxxers, the last of which is a constituency that has allowed him to run to the right of Trump, who is saddled with the liability of having created Operation Warp Speed.

At the National Conservatism Conference, the party’s semi-fascist wing believed the American version of Viktor Orbán was not Trump but DeSantis.............

Trump’s greatest advantage over DeSantis, and the one issue on which DeSantis has let Trump outflank him on the right, is the 2020 election. Trump fervently insists he won, while DeSantis (like most Republican officials) refuses to say anything. DeSantis, who appears almost exclusively in party-aligned media, has managed to avoid the topic. In a contested primary, Trump will make it hard for him to dodge the issue and will use it to paint DeSantis as a dissembler.

But I believe DeSantis will have a response. He can call Trump a loser, and if Trump insists the election was stolen, DeSantis will berate him for letting the election get stolen. DeSantis won’t denounce the coup attempt; he will denounce Trump for its lack of success. The promise he will make to the base will be to fight stronger and meaner than Trump and do whatever it takes to win power.............

Casey DeSantis is being hailed as a great political mind?
    I know nothing about her at all.
    What SHOULD I know about her?

If the battle plays out in the media, Trump will mop the floor with him. The media LOVES Trump. Loves him like he's money. Because he is. Trump will say anything, anything at all at any time and his capacity for pettiness is unlimited. He's clicks on the hoof and the media can't help but breathlessly report on every gaseous emission he has.
    If, however, the fight goes dark and dirty, Gov DeSantis can make Citizen Trump miserable. DeSantis has shown he's also a small, petty little d-bag so while he hasn't Trump's gift of gab, he's got actual power to wield. If DeSantis can punk Trump just a couple-three times via zoning, or an immigration sting or some other sneaky ambush, he can deflate Trump's image of strength. That'd be absolutely fatal for Don.

I think Trump is getting indicted. I don't see how he realistically runs. MAGA is clearly not popular with anyone outside of the base. The base will only win primaries.

DeSantis is little better than Trump. I'll take a Republican that campaigns on the issues rather than never ending anti-woke cultural war nonsense. I don't know how well he will play outside of Florida which is now basically a haven/dumping ground for aging Trumpsters in their twilight years.

Barring imprisonment, Trump will not stand idly by and let DeSantis beat him especially when Trump basically created DeSantis who otherwise might have lost to Gillum in the first election. But, again, neither is appealing. Give me Chris Sununu.

DeSantis is little better than Trump. I'll take a Republican that campaigns on the issues rather than never ending anti-woke cultural war nonsense. I don't know how well he will play outside of Florida which is now basically a haven/dumping ground for aging Trumpsters in their twilight years.

Barring imprisonment, Trump will not stand idly by and let DeSantis beat him especially when Trump basically created DeSantis who otherwise might have lost to Gillum in the first election. But, again, neither is appealing. Give me Chris Sununu.

The real problem I see is that current tough on crime strategy. Republicans can't find a good social wedge issue because abortion is now the Dem's. How do you run a tough on crime strategy with a guy either under indictment, or a felon.

They can try trans again, but it clearly doesn't work.

My guess is they go back to the economy, and god help me gas prices. I swear some portion of the GOP wakes up and checks the national average for a gallon every single day.

I think DeSantis will be the beneficiary of a general growing will to move on from Trump - it won't so much be his own personal triumph. Trump has been a losing proposition for some time now, it's obvious.

The question will be how much damage will be done during the breakup. The breakup has to happen and Trump isn't going to respond well to it.

When Trump is indicted the first time Disantis is going to turn on him and call him a loser and criminal and insist he answer for his crimes.

That strategy is already in place and only a matter of time.

When Trump is indicted the first time Disantis is going to turn on him and call him a loser and criminal and insist he answer for his crimes.

That strategy is already in place and only a matter of time.
    Curious as to what the result of that would be. Sure, DeSantis is basically a mini-Trump but you have to wonder if some hardcore Trumpanzees will refuse to vote for DeSantis if he dare slander their messiah.

And this is the worry.

Disantis is for nothing. He has no interest other than success. He's a barely more self-contained narcissist than Trump only he has a wife driving him where Trump doesn't listen to anything other than his own need to feed his ego.

Disantis campaigned on freedom from vaccines in a state that lost 10s of thousands of aged residents to covid and he won.

His supporters have checked logic and reason in a coat closet reserved for parkas in a state that averages 80 degrees and is warming. The only reason the economy of Florida didn't tank is covid handouts and tourism yet he bites the hand that feeds.

He's dangerous and likely to implode, but hopefully it's before he guts the state and rigs the elections for the next 40 years.

Curious as to what the result of that would be. Sure, DeSantis is basically a mini-Trump but you have to wonder if some hardcore Trumpanzees will refuse to vote for DeSantis if he dare slander their messiah.

There are a lot of Disantis supporters who support him because he's an R and they want low taxes. That's it. He pulls the line of the beer and alcohol lobby. He does nothing to fight big sugar. he fully gave up governing for the past year to concentrate on the election and even peeved the right wing lobbyists looking for his help in Sally and now Ian recovery.

He's a walking cartoon, but he's smarter and more disciplined than Trump so more dangerous.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom