2024 GOP Presidential Race (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

I have no idea what you're referring to here.

This sort of regulation to protect people from unnecessary poisoning will force stove technology makers to make non-gas stoves equivalent in cooking ability to gas stoves, which will also help protect the environment.

Are you also an advocate for asbestos insulation and lead paint, or are you mad at Dems for taking those away, too?

I don't buy the idea that gas stoves are all that dangerous. The process of cooking produces fumes of various sorts, if you don't ventilate you can get a buildup. It doesn't matter what kind of fuel the hobs use.

When induction cooktops are equal in performance to gas, we can talk. Right now there's reasons to prefer gas, as I described above.
    If anything, they ought to be coming down on the installation of radiant and resistant-coil stoves. Those things are godawful by any metric you choose.

It's sort of like the switch to LED lights and away from incandescent. When LEDs were $20 each, it wasn't a good idea. Now that I can get a box of 'em for $20 that'll fit in the same sockets and last for years? It's a great idea.

I'm also not a fan of the way Dems like to handle gun control. Making someone a criminal overnight just because they own a high-capacity magazine or particular kind of firearm, not to mention asking gun owners to justify themselves rankles me. Like when they floated the idea that if you're on the No-Fly List you shouldn't be allowed to buy a firearm. That's preposterous. There's no way they'd support taking away the right to vote, for instance, based on such a flimsy, opaque process. Why suggest it for a different Constitutional right?

There are many ways the Democrat party deviates from my ideal, but they're so many orders of magnitude preferable to the insane, craven cesspool the GOP has become that it's literally not funny.

Well IF he ever campaigns in Ohio and PA he(as you know) will need something else.
    Yes, in PA he will for sure. I think that works pretty well in Ohio due to the fact that they elected JD Vance over a perfectly moderate Dem with a lot of House experience.

I don't buy the idea that gas stoves are all that dangerous. The process of cooking produces fumes of various sorts, if you don't ventilate you can get a buildup. It doesn't matter what kind of fuel the hobs use.
    Much of the issue is that research shows that gas stoves continue to release fumes even when they're off.

When induction cooktops are equal in performance to gas, we can talk. Right now there's reasons to prefer gas, as I described above.
    As someone who does a lot of cooking, I absolutely agree that gas is preferable to electric/induction in terms of cooking effectiveness. However, this ties into the next point - when the government begins phasing gas stoves out, stove makers will invest much more into R&D to ensure they are competitive in the market by making an electric/induction/whatever-technology stove that cooks as effectively as the gas stoves that were removed.

It's sort of like the switch to LED lights and away from incandescent. When LEDs were $20 each, it wasn't a good idea. Now that I can get a box of 'em for $20 that'll fit in the same sockets and last for years? It's a great idea.
    It was always a great idea. But manufacturers weren't incentivized to make LED production and cost-reduction a priority while incandescents were allowed to exist in the market. Once incandescents were removed as a low-cost option, manufacturers had to figure out how to compete for the low-cost bulb market, and they did by improving technology and reducing cost. The same thing will happen with gas stoves.

I'm also not a fan of the way Dems like to handle gun control. Making someone a criminal overnight just because they own a high-capacity magazine or particular kind of firearm, not to mention asking gun owners to justify themselves rankles me.
    No one needs high-capacity magazines for anything other than killing a lot of people in a short amount of time. No one needs semi-automatic weapons for anything other than killing a lot of people (OR WILD HOGS OMGLOL) in a short amount of time.

Gun owners don't need to justify themselves. They need to stop killing people.

Like when they floated the idea that if you're on the No-Fly List you shouldn't be allowed to buy a firearm. That's preposterous. There's no way they'd support taking away the right to vote, for instance, based on such a flimsy, opaque process. Why suggest it for a different Constitutional right?
    The No-Fly list implies you are potentially dangerous, so giving you a weapon seems like a bad idea as compared to giving you a ballot.

Much of the issue is that research shows that gas stoves continue to release fumes even when they're off.

As someone who does a lot of cooking, I absolutely agree that gas is preferable to electric/induction in terms of cooking effectiveness. However, this ties into the next point - when the government begins phasing gas stoves out, stove makers will invest much more into R&D to ensure they are competitive in the market by making an electric/induction/whatever-technology stove that cooks as effectively as the gas stoves that were removed.

It was always a great idea. But manufacturers weren't incentivized to make LED production and cost-reduction a priority while incandescents were allowed to exist in the market. Once incandescents were removed as a low-cost option, manufacturers had to figure out how to compete for the low-cost bulb market, and they did by improving technology and reducing cost. The same thing will happen with gas stoves.

No one needs high-capacity magazines for anything other than killing a lot of people in a short amount of time. No one needs semi-automatic weapons for anything other than killing a lot of people (OR WILD HOGS OMGLOL) in a short amount of time.

Gun owners don't need to justify themselves. They need to stop killing people.

The No-Fly list implies you are potentially dangerous, so giving you a weapon seems like a bad idea as compared to giving you a ballot.

I don't need to justify going (or not) to church, don't need to justify voting or exercising any of my other rights. Bearing arms is no different. As for high-capacity magazines, you're missing my point. I have a .22 with a built-in 14 round magazine. It's technically illegal now in Oregon. Making it more difficult to be a law-abiding citizen isn't the right answer. It's just hasslement that people resent. Cutting off commercial production of such magazines will tend to make them more rare, while acknowledging the fact that you can create your own or just hide them...a lot like making your own booze. You can do it, but it's a PITA.
    For my money, magazine capacity is a red herring. The real target should be the production of semi-auto long rifles. Anything with a barrel over 12" that cycles the next round by pulling the trigger on the first, without some manual intermediary step, like racking a pump, working a bolt or lever, etc. Banning such weapons won't stop some maniac with a bullpup, but said maniac won't be able to sit in a hotel window and cause hundreds of casualties at 400 yards, either.
    Also, feral pigs are no joke, they cost a lot of money to ranchers and farmers and if you want rural buy-in on anything involving the AR platform, you're going to need to give those guys a way to deal with 'em. I think it'd be useful to have the armed forces train against them. Get Farmer Joe's permission and have a squad spend a few nights hunting Squeal Team Six in a live-ammo exercise.

At any rate, rendering someone's possession illegal overnight without some kind of buyback or replacement program isn't a big-C Conservative thing to do. Which is my original point. The Democrat party isn't a one-for-one replacement for a sane Conservative party. They're still the Democrats.

Last edited:
    Here is an interesting article...

Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?
    By far DeSantis is the more dangerous version of Trump, not 100% loco, not a mentally ill, insecure, ignoramuse, but poisonous and sinister enough to pull the democracy rug right out from under us, if we as a majority allow it. :oops:

By far DeSantis is the more dangerous version of Trump, not 100% loco, not a mentally ill, insecure, ignoramuse, but poisonous and sinister enough to pull the democracy rug right out from under us, if we as a majority allow it. :oops:
    Not gonna pull democracy's rug out from under us.
    Don't exaggerate.
    We have our three branches of government and our constitution. That's not gonna change.
    Hypothetically if DeSantis was the next President he would be constrained within the same framework as Biden. No Fidel Castro's are on the horizon.

Last edited:
    Don't exaggerate.
    We have our three branches of government and our constitution. That's not gonna change.
    Hypothetically if DeSantis was the next President he would be constrained within the same framework as Biden. No Fidel Castro's are on the horizon.

J6 was a mere 14 months ago...you forgot? We were as close to losing democracy as we have ever been in this country.

J6 was a mere 14 months ago...you forgot? We were as close to losing democracy as we have ever been in this country.
    Yup.
    I remember.
    Unlawful act.
    Super bad.
    That will not happen again IF DeSantis is in office.
    Yet if DeSantis keeps up being "woke focused" rather than "best for the country focused" then your worries are for nothing anyway.

Kinda peculiar the way this sentence is worded as well as the fact that "IF" is capitalized. Was that done on purpose? Our democracy can be stripped away in an attempt to PUT DeSantis in office. Our democracy was almost stripped away trying to PUT Trump in office illegally. The same people who tried to install Trump as an illegitimate president will be the same people supporting DeSantis.

I understand you are trying to differentiate between Trump and DeSantis because you support DeSantis. DeSantis is a smarter less unhinged, less charismatic and less orange version of Trump, IMO.

Don't exaggerate.
    Oh look it’s @superchuck500 circa 2018.

Jk lol don’t sue me please.

Kinda peculiar the way this sentence is worded as well as the fact that "IF" is capitalized. Was that done on purpose? Our democracy can be stripped away in an attempt to PUT DeSantis in office. Our democracy was almost stripped away trying to PUT Trump in office illegally. The same people who tried to install Trump as an illegitimate president will be the same people supporting DeSantis.

I understand you are trying to differentiate between Trump and DeSantis because you support DeSantis. DeSantis is a smarter less unhinged, less charismatic and less orange version of Trump, IMO.
    The capitalization of "IF" was extremely on purpose. His current attitude of "You haven't seen anything yet" regarding anti woke has made me think he is hurting himself with the moderates. What good is it to win some primaries if you position yourself to ultimately lose in Nov 2024?🤔

for what it's worth
    =============
    It remains to be seen whether Florida Governor Ron DeSantis (R) will challenge former President Donald Trump in 2024. But if book sales are any indication of popularity, the Florida governor has a strong base of support for future political ambitions.

DeSantis’s memoir, The Courage to Be Free: Florida’s Blueprint for America’s Survival, made it to the top of the New York Times bestsellers list this week. Many have seen the book as a soft launch for a DeSantis 2024 campaign. If that’s the case, the sales bode well: in its first week, Courage to Be Free outpaced books from Trump, Barack Obama, and Hillary Clinton at this stage of their political careers.

Insider obtained NPD BookScan’s retail numbers, and they reported that The Courage to be Free is up to 94,300 copies sold since being published just over a week ago. By comparison, Trump only sold 27,687 copies of his 2015 campaign book, Crippled America, during its first week.

The numbers put DeSantis ahead of Clinton as well since BookScan says her 2014 memoir Hard Choices came in at 86,200 copies sold in its first week. For former President Obama, The Audacity of Hope sold 67,500 copies in its first week as he was mounting his 2008 campaign for office............

The capitalization of "IF" was extremely on purpose. His current attitude of "You haven't seen anything yet" regarding anti woke has made me think he is hurting himself with the moderates. What good is it to win some primaries if you position yourself to ultimately lose in Nov 2024?🤔
    because no one in his camp will tell him he is losing.

im all for him being the R nominee. He doesnt carry charisma Trump exudes and his MAGAs slurp up, as if they drink, they will have some charisma of their own.

because no one in his camp will tell him he is losing.

im all for him being the R nominee. He doesnt carry charisma Trump exudes and his MAGAs slurp up, as if they drink, they will have some charisma of their own.

I hope he wins the nomination also, because I think Biden would defeat him easily....and Trump would totally turn on the R party and very likely....destroy it....which is exactly what it deserves....

Yup.
    I remember.
    Unlawful act.
    Super bad.
    Yet if DeSantis keeps up being "woke focused" rather than "best for the country focused" then your worries are for nothing anyway.
    I have seen people smarter than I compare DeSantis to Hungary’s Orbàn. They say he is using Orbàn’s playbook. Hungary is in deep trouble at the moment with their form of government, as I understand it.

From a 2020 Atlantic article:

“Hungary was hardly a beacon of democracy before this pandemic started. Since resuming the premiership a decade ago (his first stint was from 1998 to 2002), Orbán has overseen the steady dismantling of the country’s democratic institutions, eroding its press freedoms, undermining its education system, and limiting the power of its judiciary. As an open advocate of “illiberal democracy”—his country is the first and only EU member state to be considered just “partly free” by the think tank Freedom House—Orbán has never tried to sugarcoat his autocratic aims, and has justified them by invoking national sovereignty and national security.”

Since 2020, it’s gotten worse. You are not allowed to criticize the government any longer.

Essentially, in Florida, DeSantis is attacking the free press and weakening the public schools with his suffocating restrictions, when he’s not just taking over a public university and wholesale dismantling several areas of study that he doesn’t like.

DeSantis attacked Disney for daring to publicly criticize his “don‘t say gay” law, using the power of the state to change the status of its governing board in clear revenge for speech he didn’t like. He attacked the Tampa Devil Rays for tweeting about gun control after a mass shooting, canceling a facility upgrade that had been approved, if I recall correctly.

All of these actions break the norms of our democracy, where you’re not supposed to use the power of the state to punish people or corporations who say things you don’t like. Nobody in his party dares to point out his strong man tactics that do not belong in a democracy. I have no illusions that he will be any better than Trump at upholding our rights against the government. He’s already shown he won’t.

Oh, and I didn’t even mention there is evidence he personally directed the first doses of the vaccines away from poorer, more democratic areas and to areas of the state where his voters and donors lived.

Here is an interesting article...
    Her not endorsing Trump is interesting, maybe even a little surprising.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom