2024 GOP Presidential Race (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

Yup.
    YOU possibly underestimate the power of the head to head debate of the two final candidates.
    Imagine it is Sept. 2024 and Biden and DeSantis are the two nominees.
    A debate between those two will not deteriorate into what the Trump vs Biden debate did.
    That Trump Biden debate had the candidates loudly talking over each other and at each other. It was a mess!
    DeSantis wouldn't be as bad a Trump. More dignified.
    Biden will look old and not sharp and DeSantis will kick his butt.
    They'll be plenty of state flipping IF IF IF that hypothetical situation ever arises.
    AFTER that, no one will care about your issues as much as they will not trust Biden for 4 more years.

You assume DeSantis can come off as likable and competent.
    Biden won't be cowed nor afraid to press Ron on his pathetic record.
    Can he rebut without throwing a tantrum?

You assume DeSantis can come off as likable and competent.
    Biden won't be cowed nor afraid to press Ron on his pathetic record.
    Can he rebut without throwing a tantrum?
    DeSantis can rebuke without a tantrum of course.
    Biden will be 4 years older than when he debated Trump.

Yup.
    YOU possibly underestimate the power of the head to head debate of the two final candidates.
    A debate between those two will not deteriorate into what the Trump vs Biden debate did.
    That Trump Biden debate had the candidates loudly talking over each other and at each other. It was a mess!
    They'll be plenty of state flipping IF IF IF that hypothetical situation ever arises.
    AFTER that, no one will care about your issues as much as they will not trust Biden for 4 more years.

You possibly underestimate Biden....there is nothing dignified about DeSantis....Biden has debated on a national level many times, DeSantis zero times....experience matters....

I think Biden would crush DeSantis in a debate, I mean when you corner a fascist Christian wannabe dictator? Their defense crumbles pretty quickly.....

On what planet is DeSantis likeable?

He’s a short, homely, ghoul whose wife wears the pants. I am sure Trump won’t bring that up.

He’ll never achieve a high office than the one in Tallahassee

On what planet is DeSantis likeable?

He’s a short, homely, ghoul whose wife wears the pants. I am sure Trump won’t bring that up.

He’ll never achieve a high office than the one in Tallahassee

I don't really know how much being likable matters on the right. Trump isn't a likable person. What the base right wingers like about Trump is that he hates the same people they hate and he isn't scared to say it or fork with the people they hate. The "moderate/establishment Republicans " loved the same thing about Trump, they just didn't like that he did the same thing to them.

In that sense, Trump and DeSantis are the same, with the difference being that DeSantis doesn't call out the establishment by name or foment wars within his own party. I don't really agree that DeSantis is unelectable because he's a ghoul who's unlikable. I think he's very likable to the right wingers based on how they measure likeability.

The true conservatives hated Trump because of his anti-conservative policies and because he made their party increasingly anti-intellectual.

Last edited:
    I don't really know how much being likable matters on the right. Trump isn't a likable person. What the base right wingers like about Trump is that he hates the same people they hate and he isn't scared to say it or fork with the people they hate. The "moderate/establishment Republicans " loved the same thing about Trump, they just didn't like that he did the same thing to them.

In that sense, Trump and DeSantis are the same, with the difference being that DeSantis doesn't call out the establishment by name or foment wars within his own party. I don't really agree that DeSantis is unelectable because he's a ghoul who's unlikable. I think he's very likable to the right wingers based on how they measure likeability.

The true conservatives hated Trump because of his anti-conservative policies and because he made their party increasingly anti-intellectual.

Ever listen to Trump work a crowd? His experience on TV has given him a charming face he can wear when he wants.
    He speaks in clear (if seldom cogent) sentences with a 4th grade vocabulary. He sounds nothing like a regular politician and the Right loves him for it.

Yup.
    The SOTU showed (and not for the first time) that Biden gets better in a back and forth with Republicans, not worse, than when he’s just giving a speech.

Last edited:
    Should make a drinking game

Do a shot every time DeSantis says the word ‘woke’ in a speech
    Do you want us all to die, lol?

Remember when Crist pressed DeSantis on whether he intended to serve his full term or run for president and Ron just looked like a deer in headlights during that debate? When the debate isn’t structured and he needed to interact with Crist, he froze. If he gets some pushback - well, he has shown that his skin is so very thin. He bristles at anything except slavish devotion.

I don’t think DeSantis has anywhere near the political skills to be on this big a stage.

Ever listen to Trump work a crowd? His experience on TV has given him a charming face he can wear when he wants.
    He speaks in clear (if seldom cogent) sentences with a 4th grade vocabulary. He sounds nothing like a regular politician and the Right loves him for it.

Remember when Crist pressed DeSantis on whether he intended to serve his full term or run for president and Ron just looked like a deer in headlights during that debate? When the debate isn’t structured and he needed to interact with Crist, he froze. If he gets some pushback - well, he has shown that his skin is so very thin. He bristles at anything except slavish devotion.

I don’t think DeSantis has anywhere near the political skills to be on this big a stage.

You all may be right. I agree with everything y'all say about DeSantis. I'm just not sure it would matter to Republicans.

I'm still think DeSantis will lose to Trump though. But if he was the Republican nominee, I just think he would get both the right wing and "moderate" Republican/Independent enthusiastic support. I hope I'm wrong though.

You all may be right. I agree with everything y'all say about DeSantis. I'm just not sure it would matter to Republicans.

I'm still think DeSantis will lose to Trump though. But if he was the Republican nominee, I just think he would get both the right wing and "moderate" Republican/Independent enthusiastic support. I hope I'm wrong though.
    Yes. Candidates are viewed through the eyes of the partisan beholder(s). The flaws that liberal posters think are so obvious in DeSantis will not be noticed/ detected by right leaning voters. Naturally I will find fault with liberal politicians that most of you would either not detect or you would simply say I am wrong. We all have our political viewpoints and we'll seemingly seldom agree.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Over the past 11 months, someone created thousands of fake, automated Twitter accounts — perhaps hundreds of thousands of them — to offer a stream of praise for Donald Trump.

Besides posting adoring words about the former president, the fake accounts ridiculed Trump’s critics from both parties and attacked Nikki Haley, the former South Carolina governor and U.N. ambassador who is challenging her onetime boss for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination.

When it came to Ron DeSantis, the bots aggressively suggested that the Florida governor couldn’t beat Trump, but would be a great running mate.

As Republican voters size up their candidates for 2024, whoever created the bot network is seeking to put a thumb on the scale, using online manipulation techniques pioneered by the Kremlin to sway the digital platform conversation about candidates while exploiting Twitter’s algorithms to maximize their reach.

The sprawling bot network was uncovered by researchers at Cyabra, an Israeli tech firm that shared its findings with The Associated Press. While the identity of those behind the network of fake accounts is unknown, Cyabra’s analysts determined that it was likely created within the U.S.

To identify a bot, researchers will look for patterns in an account’s profile, its follower list and the content it posts. Human users typically post about a variety of subjects, with a mix of original and reposted material, but bots often post repetitive content about the same topics.

That was true of many of the bots identified by Cyabra.

“One account will say, ‘Biden is trying to take our guns; Trump was the best,’ and another will say, ‘Jan. 6 was a lie and Trump was innocent,‘” said Jules Gross, the Cyabra engineer who first discovered the network. “Those voices are not people. For the sake of democracy I want people to know this is happening.”……

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom